My first PPV

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ilikemtb999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great color, congrats!

At 170k you’ve probably had some suspension stuff done. Drivers motor mount is a good thing to check.

I think fluid changes and a good inspection of everything. You might of gotten a vehicle that’s had good upkeep by motor pool. When I went to change my diff oil and transfer case they all royal purple in it.

Joeyhosmanole

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Nice looking truck. Reach out if you could use some advice on restoring wiring to horn, rear door locks, brake lights, etc. Went through this myself on my 2011 SSV Tahoe on the ECM. Pretty easy to identify upffitter splices and restore to factory if needed.

CrashTestDummy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First off: Welcome!

The steering wheel looks a lot like our original one did. First thing we replaced, and it made a huge difference in the interior. Not as much as the console add, but really made the thing look better.

Check the spare tire lift. It's probably rusted frozen. New replacements aren't much, and better to find out it's status before you NEED to use it.

Oh, and get your DIC switch installed!! :D

Ilikemtb999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First off: Welcome!

The steering wheel looks a lot like our original one did. First thing we replaced, and it made a huge difference in the interior. Not as much as the console add, but really made the thing look better.

Check the spare tire lift. It's probably rusted frozen. New replacements aren't much, and better to find out it's status before you NEED to use it.

Oh, and get your DIC switch installed!! :D
Driving other vehicles you really realize how cheap the original wheel is on these suvs. Still looking for a replacement for mine.

RichardCranium

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice looking PPV there! Mine had 190K'ish on it when I picked it up.

First thing to learn are really the differences between PPV's, mainly where they came from. Did your truck come with any sort of service history? Mine came with a complete history, with mileage. I might be pretty lucky that I was provided that information, it doesn't seem to be a common thing. Then again, that is agency dependent for where your truck came from.

A lot of folks will say change all of the fluids, definitely nothing wrong with it for a peace of mind. In my case, everything was serviced regularly. Some may still have changed everything, to each their own. When I pulled the oil dipstick out and it looked like I pulled it out of a brand new vehicle, I giggled. No worries from there.

Also, you could order a PPV with different options. The dealer could also make changes as well, if desired. So, not all PPV's are equipped exactly the same either. For instance, my PPV had no modified wiring or programming. My door locks, windows, lights........everything worked as a LS/LT/LTZ would have. Also, my PPV had carpet. It had no spotlight. It has a vinyl rear seat (looks like leather), not the plastic bench.

Now is the chance to make the truck "yours". Don't let anyone tell you that you "should have just bought a LT". You probably scored the PPV for a nice low price, and since you bought it you obviously like the way it looks. Swap out the front seats for some nice used leather seats. Find a normal factory center console. Spend the $200 and buy an OEM leather steering wheel with radio controls (plug and play, just swap it and it works). Change the dash trim from brushed to wood grain. Do what you want to with it. Most importantly, post pictures of the progress. :) My build thread is linked in my sig.

I'm north of 210k now and plan to drive this truck until the wheels fall off. At that point, I'll find a way to stick the wheels back on and drive some more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
navyboy14094