My carpets make me gag. How do I clean them?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
Previous owner did a number on the interior and I'm only just now getting around to it.

Decade old coffee stains, sugary drinks, stuff that was under the floor mats, couple mold spots from a water leak. There are some spots that are so gross and sticky I can leave thumb prints. I'll put it this way: I'm pretty sure they used the passenger floor boards to empty out the backwash left in their cups.

I had some success with a hot water/virex(disinfectant) solution, brush, and shop vac. Got most of the gross out but there's still some discoloration.

I had an idea in my head to use a stronger detergent - mix of dishwasher powder and water maybe? Pre-soak it in something?

I'm *almost* at the point of tearing the interior out and taking the carpet to a dry cleaning place. But I want to see about tackling the problem here first.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Previous owner did a number on the interior and I'm only just now getting around to it.

Decade old coffee stains, sugary drinks, stuff that was under the floor mats, couple mold spots from a water leak. There are some spots that are so gross and sticky I can leave thumb prints. I'll put it this way: I'm pretty sure they used the passenger floor boards to empty out the backwash left in their cups.

I had some success with a hot water/virex(disinfectant) solution, brush, and shop vac. Got most of the gross out but there's still some discoloration.

I had an idea in my head to use a stronger detergent - mix of dishwasher powder and water maybe? Pre-soak it in something?

I'm *almost* at the point of tearing the interior out and taking the carpet to a dry cleaning place. But I want to see about tackling the problem here first.
If you take it out try one of those scrubbing brush heads that attaches to a drill, then hit it with a power washer.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the best way is to just buy a carpet kit there not really expensive and replace it and put in some husky weatherbeater's or something.
otherwise if that is not a option a carpet cleaner with a upholstery attachment will do wonders
pre-spray, scrub, extract. repeat. then leave the windows cracked a little until it drys out

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
The Detail Geek on YouTube films some amazing transformations of vehicles so nasty I would set them on fire. He provides links to every product he uses.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I'd replace it if it was worth the cost to me.

Otherwise, remove it, soak cleaners in it, scrub the solidified parts, power wash it and repeat as needed. If you get the stuff out but the fibers are discolored, you can use interior dye (SEM makes great color-matched stuff). You spray it on like spray paint and work it into the fibers with a small, soft-bristled brush.

Removing it also gives you the opportunity to clean the floor pan. Maybe install additional sound insulation and/or run sound system wiring.

OP
OP
SnowDrifter

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
Nice thanks guys!!

I popped the seats out and gave it a good 'ol suds and scrub and scrub and scrub and suck and scrub and scrub

it's a whole shade lighter LOL

Had a couple stains that are there to stay. But they at least lightened up.

Replacing the carpet ain't a bad idea tbh. Will probably entertain that one at a later date. It feels and smells clean, sans discoloration in a few spots. The dye is neat.. But it's an 18 year old carpet... Looks like the front is 160 ish bucks. Might give me an excuse to put a black or charcoal one in there - I'm not a huge fan of the tan/sand colored interior.

Guess the real question is what else to do while I have it out. Get a carpet w/ the mass backing? Or exclude that and get a couple sheets of damplifier and throw that down? I'm not unhappy with the noise level of this rig... But while I'm in there....

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Might give me an excuse to put a black or charcoal one in there - I'm not a huge fan of the tan/sand colored interior.

This.

Guess the real question is what else to do while I have it out. Get a carpet w/ the mass backing? Or exclude that and get a couple sheets of damplifier and throw that down? I'm not unhappy with the noise level of this rig... But while I'm in there....

Stock replacement with new jute padding on top of Damplifier or the like. Stick that stuff as high up the firewall as you can go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
22loweryak

Latest posts