My big girl saved my life

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

drummin1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So glad you're OK and were able to walk away. I survived a airborne, rollover crash in my '02 Yukon back in 2016....much the same as you...I crawled out and was waiting for emergency responders! I did suffer a fractured vertebrae, but I'm good now.

IMG_1947.jpg IMG_1948.jpg

CrashTestDummy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My grandad never wears his and it scares the hell out of me. He was riding shotgun one time when teaching me how to drive and a deer ran out in front of us- and I about sent him thru the windshield with how hard I got on the brakes.

I kind of had wearing seat belts drilled into me at an early age. My Dad had to install seat belts in our 1959 Rambler before he could drive the thing on base at Vandenberg in the '60's. We were required to wear the seat belts when in a vehicle on base. So I just got into the habit early on.

I still wear seat belts, and kind of like being held in place by the belts when driving or riding. We have even installed a CG Lock on the driver's belt of our two DDs so we can actually cinch the belts down on our lap for added support.

All that silliness said, if you're ever in an accident wearing a belt, you're a believer for life! No matter how minor. You'd be amazed at how much you move around in a wreck.

CrashTestDummy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Incredible story. Sorry you/your Yukon fell victim to another Louisiana ******* driver. In my work van, I don't back down. When someone tries that swerving shit at me to try to scare me into slamming on my brakes so they can cut in front, I hold my ground and inch closer to them but being sure I stay 100% in my lane. On I-10, there are always witnesses because they are inches behind your bumper. I've had two separate collisions where some entitled, nose-in-the-air thugs have hit my front right fender because I called their bluff and won. My work van gets a new fender and bumper cover while their car requires major body work to the left rear quarter panel. Both times, after we made contact, I turned into them to try to P.I.T. maneuver them. But, since having to stay in my lane, I'm limited to how far I can push so they steer away and out of it. Of course, this peels off their rear bumper since it's hooked into my front bumper. Both instances were nearly identical scenario. I'm on Louisiana roads 1,200-1,500 miles a week and deal with so many ****** drivers that it doesn't phase me at all. The second collision (I feel that calling it an "accident" is dumbing it down, which is not warranted), I was on the phone (hands-free Bluetooth) with another tech. I interrupted him talking with a calm "hold on, I just got in a wreck.". As we were talking, I was watching the offender approach. Him weaving in and out of traffic, bullying people around caught my attention. He could've went to the far right lane to fly around the other car and I, but then he wouldn't get to cut me off, so he swerved left. As the other tech was telling me his story, I was making a mental note as to what he was saying so I could tell him where he left off after I was back on the road. The dude hit me, I turned at him to push as much as I could, lightly applied the brake to pull back on his bumper cover, hit my blinker and got over to the left shoulder. He never said a word to me or even looked at me after we were stopped cuz he knew he was 100% in the wrong.

Anyways... Any chance your Yukon went to a local salvage yard? I'd like to grab those headers. lol
I promise to maintain the utmost respect for the remains.

Wow! I've heard about bad drivers in Louisiana, but didn't know this was an intentional driving strategy. The only saving grace is they would have probably stopped that after pulling up next to our Tahoe. :p

CrashTestDummy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This morning on my way to work, someone ran me out my lane and into the interstate median where I began to slide sideways, I then crossed over the lanes I was in and I don’t know what happened after because I shut my eyes and let it go. We went surveyed the scene and it shows that I went air born and slid on the nose I’m thinking bc there’s just one mark, then flipped, went back to the nose and hit a tree with the rear end then flipped again. I climbed out and stayed until the wrecker. I have some bruising from the seatbelt, some scratches from the glass, and a terribly aching shoulder which I will be seeing about tomorrow. But my big girl did amazing and saved my life. May she Rest In Pieces.

View attachment 231632 View attachment 231633 View attachment 231634 View attachment 231635 View attachment 231636
Dam, Alex, that's bad! Glad you came out okay. Kind of makes up for that 13 MPG average these things usually get, huh? ;-)

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow! I've heard about bad drivers in Louisiana, but didn't know this was an intentional driving strategy.

It's an unofficial/unadvertised maneuver called "the dip". NOBODY uses a signal because one hand is holding a phone and the other is on the wheel. It's easy and convenient for the driver (term used loosely) to just make a quick swerve at someone. This catches them off guard and pretty much 100% of the time they hit the brakes, opening up a gap for the swerver to squeeze in. About the only time they don't respond to being dipped at is because they themselves are preoccupied with THEIR phone. This also often leads to rear-endings because everyone is tailgating, which is why people have come up with "the dip" to force their way in. Vicious cycle.

My work van has a camera and, after both incidences, when my safety manager asked why I didn't "respond to the driver swerving into my lane", I just tell him I was checking my side mirror or gauges at that exact moment and all I know is a car came out of nowhere and hit me. He knows whats up but has to ask cuz those calls are recorded.

The only saving grace is they would have probably stopped that after pulling up next to our Tahoe. :p

Most everyone's guilty of SOMETHING on the road, so yeah, they immediately clean up their act when they see such a vehicle. For her next car, my girlfriend really wants an SSV Tahoe, complete with black on black with dark tint, push bar and spotlight.

GTNator

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, the more I read these stories and see these pictures the more I'm happy I made the purchase decision I did...... the safety/survivability of these autos amaze me.

Yup, and I remember last year a guy on this forum was complaining a lot about his late model Yukon’s AC being noisy or something. Then he got into a head on collision straight into a huge truck that was towing a trailer, at a combined speed of 80-90 MPH (each vehicle was going around 45MPH). Yukon was totaled but he walked away. He said these GM vehicles earn their keep with safety even if they have a few minor bugs along the way. I’ll never forget that story cause he went from complaining to praising, overnight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
44Dan