My 2011 Yukon Denali Totaled Sunday Evening

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's my thinking, and it's heavier, more heft and less likely to be tossed around. Tom was hit though by basically the same thing he was driving.

I've been in accidents in cars and jeeps that nearly killed me and delivered life long injuries. I was rear ended in my F-450 SuperDuty once and barely noticed.

Physics wins every time. More mass equals less impulse delivered to the occupants. My 2500 Suburban weighs 6500 lbs empty. Woe be upon the poor SOB that hits it.

Additionally, the rear cargo area of the XL/Suburban offers more protection on a rear impact - a bigger buffer/crumple zone between the bumper and the humans.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Physics wins every time. More mass equals less impulse delivered to the occupants. My 2500 Suburban weighs 6500 lbs empty. Woe be upon the poor SOB that hits it.

Additionally, the rear cargo area of the XL/Suburban offers more protection on a rear impact - a bigger buffer/crumple zone between the bumper and the humans.
And people who remove the rear bumper and replace it with a roll pan need to be aware that there's even less protection for rear occupants in a rear end collision. I wouldn't even put anybody in the third row seats if that's the case. With a pickup you still have the bed to protect you but not on an SUV.

OP
OP
gooffeyguy
Reaction score
Well guys, the kids are doing much better. My daughter's been walking without the walker all week and her xrays for the fractured upper rib looked good and they removed the neck brace. The tissue/muscle on her neck and shoulder is still a bit sore and limits her from turning her head as much, and she has some physical therapy scheduled for it.

We received a copy of the police report from our lawyer. The other driver stated his brakes didn't work, but also was unsure what lane he was in or what color the light was. Report shows that he was under the influence of drugs/alcohol. There was a witness statement from the person in the vehicle behind me, basically saying it happened the way I described above (we got the green light, proceeded through, other driver ran light at speed and hit us from the right).

Insurance payed off the car, now just need to keep an eye out for a replacement that I like. I've found a 2012 Tahoe LTZ that has less miles and has all the options the Denali had, except for the 6.2l. It does have the heavy cooling and tow package along with built in brake controller. Will I regret the 5.3 over the 6.2? I know with it having selectable 2w/4w it will get better daily gas mileage than the AWD 6.2.

Also found a 2012 Suburban LTZ with a bit more mileage than the Denali, with all the same options. Not sure of engine size, but guessing 5.3.

2001 Yukon SLT
2011 Yukon Denali

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Well guys, the kids are doing much better. My daughter's been walking without the walker all week and her xrays for the fractured upper rib looked good and they removed the neck brace. The tissue/muscle on her neck and shoulder is still a bit sore and limits her from turning her head as much, and she has some physical therapy scheduled for it.

We received a copy of the police report from our lawyer. The other driver stated his brakes didn't work, but also was unsure what lane he was in or what color the light was. Report shows that he was under the influence of drugs/alcohol. There was a witness statement from the person in the vehicle behind me, basically saying it happened the way I described above (we got the green light, proceeded through, other driver ran light at speed and hit us from the right).

Insurance payed off the car, now just need to keep an eye out for a replacement that I like. I've found a 2012 Tahoe LTZ that has less miles and has all the options the Denali had, except for the 6.2l. It does have the heavy cooling and tow package along with built in brake controller. Will I regret the 5.3 over the 6.2? I know with it having selectable 2w/4w it will get better daily gas mileage than the AWD 6.2.

Also found a 2012 Suburban LTZ with a bit more mileage than the Denali, with all the same options. Not sure of engine size, but guessing 5.3.

2001 Yukon SLT
2011 Yukon Denali

Glad to hear everyone is doing much better. As you know, it could've been so much worse.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you live without the 83 extra horsepower? Is getting 15 mpg around town over 12 mpg that important? Do you park them in the garage? Will the Suburban fit in your garage?

I wanted a 4x4 and not AWD and so had to accept the smaller engine. No regrets.

GTNator

Supporting Member
Reaction score

2001 Yukon SLT
2011 Yukon Denali

From those choices, I would get the LWB (Suburban). It’s more useful for families IMO. And as previously mentioned, it’s bigger and heavier so slightly safer. As long as it “fits” your lifestyle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikeyss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I still own my Blackbear tuned 05 5.3 Tahoe (want to sell), but my daily driver is my 09 6.2 Tahoe, also tuned by blackbear. The difference in power is un-mistakable and I almost never drive the 05 because of it.
Out of curiosity, or maybe I didn't read it, but what about the 2011-14 Yukon Denali XL? It would have a 6.2.

P.S., there was a comment about city mpg... My 6.2 (3:42 rear end) gets better city mileage by 1mpg than my 5.3 (4:10 rear end), just gotta press light on the pedal.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad everyone is steadily recovering.

As for the 5.3 vs. 6.2, you're gonna have to give it a thorough test drive and decide for yourself. Of course, you'll feel the difference in power. But you'll have to get some good seat time to determine if you can live with it. A good tune and light foot on the 6.2 can even up the MPGs between the two, but it'd take more than a good tune and bolt-ons to match the 6.2 power with the 5.3. Long tubes, free-flow exhaust and a good tune are the best bolt-ons for the 5.3 to help narrow that power difference gap.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juju14