My 2008 Tahoe Facelift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
T

twentyfour

Reaction score
it was the vinyl from the Amazon link you posted. scrolled down and it had the install little kit and some black version of the vinyl too, saying buy all 3 together for 30$. I was like you know, I think I will. haha
plastics and the headliner.
For the headliner I used Duplicator Vinyl and Fabric Spray Paint and for the Interior I used the same for some but switched over to the Krylon Fusion Spray Paint which seems to hold much better. If you use the duplicator I would also use the Adhesion Promoter and follow the instructions to make sure you get the top coat of spray paint on there within the first 10 minutes after you spray the final coat of adhesion promoter.

OP
OP
T

twentyfour

Reaction score
What dye did you use to dye the seats? What was the process, and how's it holding up?
I used these guys. https://www.seatdoctors.com They can get you almost any color or make you the color if you give them something to go by. They have an amazing FAQ and instructions on what to do here https://www.seatdoctors.com/frequently-asked-questions. They are also pretty responsive for any questions.

Prep is key! You want to use a water based cleaner to scrub the leather with a sponge to get all of the contaminants out of the leather. Then I used their crack filler to fill in the cracks in the seat and if you need to lightly sand the excess off you use 800 grit sandpaper I believe or maybe 600. The grit number is on the bottle.

After you clean it really well and let it dry, you then want to clean it with isopropyl alcohol. Once dry, you can start applying the dye. Make sure to shake well so the paint blends together as some of it might settle. Then I poured a little dye into a plastic cup and used a paint sponge to dab the paint into the leather, don't brush it in. What you see is after 3 coats.

Make sure you wait sufficient time between each coat so the dye drys or else if you apply a new coat it will bring up the old coat if it didn't dry properly. I waited about 30-45 minutes between coats but when I asked them they said the longer the better and you can even wait over night. You can always apply more later too. I didn't use a heat gun or a blow dryer but I think some people do. It will depend on the temperature and humidity based on where you live.

After the final coat, wait at least 48 hours and buff the seats with a lightly damp cloth. During this process I saw very little dye come off of the seats onto the cotton cloth so so far its holding up well. Haven't put them back into the truck yet as Im waiting to hear back from them on the topcoat.

There is also a top coat you can put on as well to further protect it. Im waiting on them to confirm the process to do it as I don't want to mess anything up.

As for how it's holding up, so far so good, they say on their website that once you do this it is permanent so it shouldn't come off on your clothes as it is now "in" the leather.

Also, one more thing, they do say it is not easy and maybe even not recommended to go from black to another color as it may not come out right unless you do something like red. But going from black to a lighter color is difficult. In my case I was lucky as I was going from tan to burgundy.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I used these guys. https://www.seatdoctors.com They can get you almost any color or make you the color if you give them something to go by. They have an amazing FAQ and instructions on what to do here https://www.seatdoctors.com/frequently-asked-questions. They are also pretty responsive for any questions.

Prep is key! You want to use a water based cleaner to scrub the leather with a sponge to get all of the contaminants out of the leather. Then I used their crack filler to fill in the cracks in the seat and if you need to lightly sand the excess off you use 800 grit sandpaper I believe or maybe 600. The grit number is on the bottle.

After you clean it really well and let it dry, you then want to clean it with isopropyl alcohol. Once dry, you can start applying the dye. Make sure to shake well so the paint blends together as some of it might settle. Then I poured a little dye into a plastic cup and used a paint sponge to dab the paint into the leather, don't brush it in. What you see is after 3 coats.

Make sure you wait sufficient time between each coat so the dye drys or else if you apply a new coat it will bring up the old coat if it didn't dry properly. I waited about 30-45 minutes between coats but when I asked them they said the longer the better and you can even wait over night. You can always apply more later too. I didn't use a heat gun or a blow dryer but I think some people do. It will depend on the temperature and humidity based on where you live.

After the final coat, wait at least 48 hours and buff the seats with a lightly damp cloth. During this process I saw very little dye come off of the seats onto the cotton cloth so so far its holding up well. Haven't put them back into the truck yet as Im waiting to hear back from them on the topcoat.

There is also a top coat you can put on as well to further protect it. Im waiting on them to confirm the process to do it as I don't want to mess anything up.

As for how it's holding up, so far so good, they say on their website that once you do this it is permanent so it shouldn't come off on your clothes as it is now "in" the leather.

Also, one more thing, they do say it is not easy and maybe even not recommended to go from black to another color as it may not come out right unless you do something like red. But going from black to a lighter color is difficult. In my case I was lucky as I was going from tan to burgundy.
I'm really interested in how it will wear and longevity. I had my own business repairing seats for dealers. Nothing ever lasts forever tho.20190228_124619.jpg20190228_170327.jpg20190322_133143.jpg20190322_172346.jpg

OP
OP
T

twentyfour

Reaction score
I'm really interested in how it will wear and longevity. I had my own business repairing seats for dealers. Nothing ever lasts forever tho.View attachment 399037View attachment 399039View attachment 399040View attachment 399041
Wow, looks brand new! Will be putting the seats back in this weekend so I will check back here in case any of it comes off on my clothes. But I have buffed it out with a damp cloth and none of the dye has come off and it looks really good but we shall see.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Wow, looks brand new! Will be putting the seats back in this weekend so I will check back here in case any of it comes off on my clothes. But I have buffed it out with a damp cloth and none of the dye has come off and it looks really good but we shall see.
I don't think it'll bleed onto your clothes immediately--you never know--I'm just thinking about how it'll hold up after getting in and out, like the bolsters on the driver's seat.

OP
OP
T

twentyfour

Reaction score
I don't think it'll bleed onto your clothes immediately--you never know--I'm just thinking about how it'll hold up after getting in and out, like the bolsters on the driver's seat.
I will follow up in a couple months. Putting the seats back in this week. I didn't change out the cushion because it was in decent shape. The leather was cracked pretty bad though but that's after 100k miles from the factory. I'll let you know how it goes.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I will follow up in a couple months. Putting the seats back in this week. I didn't change out the cushion because it was in decent shape. The leather was cracked pretty bad though but that's after 100k miles from the factory. I'll let you know how it goes.
Great, thanks. I'm really curious how it'll do.

OP
OP
T

twentyfour

Reaction score
Front seats are in and Bilsten in the front as well as some factory 18" rims and Goodyear Adventure Owl A/T's.7482E6DA-049B-4AC4-8CAD-C0A97352EE85.jpeg

Attachments

• 4F61592E-4A66-4BD2-BABD-C6FFFC6D1F7F.jpeg
    4F61592E-4A66-4BD2-BABD-C6FFFC6D1F7F.jpeg
    562.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 39B4520E-32C2-4FCF-9931-B46215B4E41F.jpeg
    39B4520E-32C2-4FCF-9931-B46215B4E41F.jpeg
    449.9 KB · Views: 6

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2DoeProjectHoe