My 1995 for an 1984 k5??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LittlePearl13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Central Coast (SLO county), California.
Hey guys, sorry for the double post, I just realized I posted in the wrong section. Anyway, I'm leaving it up because I need advice pretty quickly :/

Anyway, there's a guy near me who is selling his 1984 k5 with a 305 and a 700r4 tranny. This guy offered to do a straight-across trade with me for my 1995 4 door 4x4 Tahoe.

I am really torn, and I need some advice from guys who have owned these old k5s. Right now: this is how I'm rationalizing even thinking about this trade.

Pros of the trade:
-Cool factor (come on, it's an old k5! They're so killer)
-Removable top
-Seats just as many as my Tahoe
-Has had a bunch of new parts and paperwork to get it tagged up to date and passing smog
-Very cool paint scheme
-Super clean, limited and barely visible rust
-Already has a 4" lift kit and 33" tires
-Solid axle up front (I hate IFS)

Cons of the trade:
-I've made a ton of repairs to my Tahoe in the year I've owned it, and it's extremely reliable. Unless I have sudden massive engine failure, this truck is not breaking down on me anytime soon. Buying an old blazer opens the door for a lot of unseen problems.
-I do love my Tahoe, and I've put in a lot of time and effort to make it my own
-I play upright bass, and I'm not sure I'd be able to fit it in the Blazer (I'm testing it on a friend's k5 tomorrow) I have a lot of musical equipment
-I've heard that the 1984 models have a pretty ****** carb and computer system

D: I'm so torn! What do you all think I should do????

Here's the Blazer:
http://slo.craigslist.org/cto/2825160984.html

And below are some pictures of my Hoe

Attachments

• IMG_20111105_161327.jpg
    IMG_20111105_161327.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20111105_184039.jpg
    IMG_20111105_184039.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20110907_191259.jpg
    IMG_20110907_191259.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20110812_133810.jpg
    IMG_20110812_133810.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 25

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like I saidin your other thread I'd do the trade but I LOVE square bodies!!

Sasquatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you can fit all your equipment in the K-5 i`d go for it. I love squarebodies and a ******* blazer is great in the summertime.

The only thing i`m wondering is what computer did he replace? Squares didn`t have them until 87 when the tbi engines were available.

OP
OP
LittlePearl13

LittlePearl13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I just tried it out today on my coach's blazer. It all fit great. Now I just have to convince my folks to let me get it. My pink slip is in their name, and they were planning on giving it to me in a few months when I graduate. But as of right now, I want to go for it. I'm going to go see it in person on Saturday.

purple 'hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Being that my family has owned multiple K5's since the 1970's, I'll add some of my advice on these.

If it was me, I'd pass on this trade. Your going to trade a mid 90's EFI 350 Tahoe for a mid 80's carb'd 305 Blazer. Both have identical transmissions (4l60E vs 700R4) same rear axles (GM 10 bolts). You are gaining a little bit between front axles (IFS vs GM 10 Bolt) but not much IMO. And transfercase wise, your losing a little bit if you have a floor shift in your Tahoe (NP241vsNP208).

Body's on K5's rot out. It's going to happen unless you live in the Southwest. Tahoe's have seemed to be a lot better (some rot out, some don't). Also, your going to start daily driving a 29 year old truck vs your 17 year old truck. Your going to run into more issues with the K5 on finding parts at stores and junk yards than your Tahoe. My local pick/pull has 15 OBS trucks compared to 3 OOBS trucks right now.

If you were going to get some cash out of this deal, then I'd say go for it. But I'd stick with what you have now. If you dead set on finding a K5, they can be found cheap enough as project trucks as is.

Hope it helps! That is a clean looking K5 though. Body looks solid on that one.

Last edited:

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
I've had a couple k5s including the 94 I got now and I love them :) I'd say do it because carve are still easy to work on.... I'd rather work on carb then Feul injection....

OP
OP
LittlePearl13

LittlePearl13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks a lot for the advice, 'specially from purple. I'm going to go drive down and check it out on Saturday. If the body is pretty much rust free, my plan (as of now) is to do a straight across trade, but I'm going to take off my lights and grill guard and CB and all that stuff. But If this thing is in a little worse condition than the pictures (and the guy says on the phone), then I'll try to get cash on top. If it's even worse than that, I won't consider it. I'm mainly worried about the condition of the interior and engine more so than the body, frame, and suspension. The kit sounds like it's a pretty solid, quality 4".

And purple, I know what you're saying about the trade-offs, I hear ya. But for me, and the type of off-roading I want to be capable of, the K5 (especially because of the solid axle) is really going to suit me best. I like the fact that it's cheaper, easier, and more reliable than the IFS of my Tahoe for wheeling. Not to mention, I've had to replace some front suspension parts on the 'hoe, and I've always been on edge whenever it's off pavement. It'll almost be kinda nice to have a truck that's more of a beater, but also more of a wheeler, so I won't be as scared on the trails haha.

But again, thanks for the tips. You guys have any pictures of your old K5s?

OP
OP
LittlePearl13

LittlePearl13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went to go see it this evening, it was a huge disappointment. The engine and suspension looked pretty good, turned out it was a rancho lift, but the paint was shit, and the roof was rusted out pretty bad. The dude was too fat to ever see it. The interior was ruined, mismatched seats, and missing all kinds of parts. Not to mention that the tires were like completely bald. So I'm pretty disappointed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jkavros