Multiple simultaneous failures

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You are wasting your time doing anything other than going to the dealer and having them do a scan tool. Not a standard scan tool, has to be GMC. I have, on multiple occasions, gotten them to come read codes without dropping it off. Say you are in a hurry and the code comes and goes and you want to get a reading while the code is present and you are worried since it disappears sometimes. That will get you some ideas.
For me, the things on this complete POS truck that have caused that light in two years of ownership: every time it left my family and I stranded on the road from randomly dying with unknown still cause (super common on these), Cam phaser, cam sensor, oil pump, electronic shock failure, rear airbag failure, bad battery, failed alternator, oh, and what's that last thing...oh, a spun cam bearing requiring a NEW BLOCK! I will, never, ever, ever, buy a chevy or GMC product again.
I have been driving these trucks for 15 years, I only actually broke down on the side of the road less than 5 times once was a broken heater hose, the rest were my own fault for breaking the transmission by driving like mario cart.

broken08

Reaction score
Next time your driving your GMC, count the number of other GMC trucks you see and wonder if those owners are getting hosed in the same manner? I wonder if the phenomenon that you have experienced could actually be explained by "factory reps in the know". in other words, was your vehicle part of a production run with a bad employee in the engine section and they are aware of it? or a run of bad alternators, batteries, shocks? The factory will never disclose their inside knowledge.

I guess we will never know. But subjectively, I can say I have seen a LOT of this series of truck on the side of the road broken down. Like an alarming number

broken08

Reaction score
Even a cheap one-way scan tool can point you to the root cause of such an event. When codes are set, the PCM makes "screenshots" of what all the sensors are reading at that moment. If you take a look at the screenshot(s), you may find an open and/or low voltage on a particular circuit of a system that is part of the ABS and StabiliTrak systems such as the TPS, TAC, or as you found, the ABS. Could be a faulty sensor or loose connection in a harness, including a ground.

What cheap tool can read body module codes?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What cheap tool can read body module codes?

I don't know, never had a reason to research that. I was sticking to pertinent info for the OP.

If you consider $300 "cheap", a TechII clone can be had for about this amount and it'll read the BCM. $300 is a mere fraction of what a legitimate TechII or any of the universal 2-way scan tools cost. I'd consider it cheap, especially with what it can save you in diagnostics and labor charges at the mechanic's shop.

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can say I have seen a LOT of this series of truck on the side of the road broken down. Like an alarming number
My sister has had 3 Tahoes and never had any big problem. She does about 20k miles a year. Her current 2011 LTZ has 160k on it and is going strong. We've had 2 Surburbans, 00 & 02, and they never left us stranded.
Our current 07 Yukon Denali has 135k. It had a few nagging issues when we bought it 4 mths ago, but responded perfectly to the fixes I performed, and now the wifey is using it as her daily driver, since her 2012 MKX has been parked for a mth:favorites68: now because the ABS control module is not available and Ford doesn't know when it will be available.:( Needless to say we won't be buying anymore Ford products.

Marcustomer

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Driving my 2008 GMC Yukon XL Denali when all of a sudden, ABS light comes on along with stabilitrak failure and traction control failure warnings appearing. Previously service suspension warning had come on then gone away. I'm guessing an electrical failure because I can't believe everything failed at once. Any clues where I should start looking first?
Strange as it sounds, my wife’s old 07 did the same thing. It was low brake fluid. Once I topped it off it was fine.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...her 2012 MKX has been parked for a mth:favorites68: now because the ABS control module is not available and Ford doesn't know when it will be available.

Bosch supplies many in the auto industry their ABS modules. if you haven't done so already, see which one it is and see if you can get it directly from Bosch or even GM or Suburu, etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DLM_GT

Latest posts