Muffler delete too loud

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I like loud exhausts. I have the Corsa Sport on my 6.2L Sierra and it sounds great. But the muffler delete sound is just not right. It sounds more like an exhaust problem than a nice deep rumble.
Did you also delete the resonator near the tip? I'm thinking GMT-900s, not sure exactly what the K2s have, but 6.2 900s sound great IMO with just the muffler delete while keeping the resonator. Going to do it to ours soon.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Which magnaflow do you all recommend? 14 or 18 or 22?

I had the 18" and I thought it was perfect. It's actually a 1/4-priced clone, but same thing. Nice rumble when first started and when idling. Not obtrusive at all in the cabin when cruising and no drone. It had a strong, but smooth roar when on the throttle during acceleration that turned into an aggressive wildcat growl at upper RPMS. It was actually disappointingly tame when I fist got it. But, it quickly "broke in" and was awesome after that. I still have it, just coupled with the 22" version to quiet it down after losing the cats.

I know it's impossible to get a good idea from videos, but I'll throw my comparison ones up just cuz:

Stock with resonator delete:

Resonator delete with AP Xlerator 1259:

Yes- it does sound quieter and more tamer than stock in the video.

Same setup, one year later:

The rest are after the cam, etc. with long tubes and no cats, so they're irrelevant.

I find that these types of mufflers complement the factory sound in note and volume but without trying to change it. Here's a similar muffler that I believe is a 14", on an older 5.3:

Stock:

After muffler and all else stock:

Jeff_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the 18" and I thought it was perfect. It's actually a 1/4-priced clone, but same thing. Nice rumble when first started and when idling. Not obtrusive at all in the cabin when cruising and no drone. It had a strong, but smooth roar when on the throttle during acceleration that turned into an aggressive wildcat growl at upper RPMS. It was actually disappointingly tame when I fist got it. But, it quickly "broke in" and was awesome after that. I still have it, just coupled with the 22" version to quiet it down after losing the cats.

I know it's impossible to get a good idea from videos, but I'll throw my comparison ones up just cuz:

The rest are after the cam, etc. with long tubes and no cats, so they're irrelevant.

I find that these types of mufflers complement the factory sound in note and volume but without trying to change it. Here's a similar muffler that I believe is a 14", on an older 5.3:

Stock:

Thank you for posting this. Very helpful. I’ll need to buy a 18” magnaflow and find someplace competent to install it.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you for posting this. Very helpful. I’ll need to buy a 18” magnaflow and find someplace competent to install it.

It's a really easy splice-in job on these rigs, so any muffler shop worth holding a business license should be able to handle it. Just need the muffler and a ~6" length of pipe to make up the difference. No hanger work or pipe bending involved.

66GM66

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

Stock:

Love the rims on the Tahoe. What are they ?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Love the rims on the Tahoe. What are they ?

The first two vids are the stock LTZ wheels, but I'm assuming you're asking about the six-spoke ones. They're factory 20" chrome-clad wheels from a 2007-2013 GMC Sierra. I removed the chrome cladding (it's like a glued-on hub cap) and cleaned off the foam and adhesive. Here: https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/growing-up-doesnt-have-to-suck.93510/post-1353960

Scroll down and you'll see the center cap and lug nut mods following that post.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne