Msd, taylor, summit racing upgrades

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So when i first bought my 97 last year it needed an immediate tune up and distributor. Judging by what i was seeing when i was going over the truck i wasnt sure what else i might find so i decided to buy cheap replacement parts. I had tossed a cardone reman distributor whatever cheap plug wires and autolite plugs just to get the truck running again. Well ff to now pay for what you get truck was missing like a MF so i ordered ngk gpower plugs, summit racing performance coil, taylor 8mm spiro wires, and an msd street fire distributor. Ive had great luck with all those brand parts so i decided to go with it. Distributor is an exact replacement for a gm oem dist however vs my cheap reman one the oil pump shaft had to be bumped back a touch to drop in where it needed to be. Also ive used the msd blaster coil before and it comes with the extra hardware to attach it to the coil mount bracket the summit racing one did not. So if you decide on the summit racing coil get some small bolts and nuts to reattach it as the oem has aluminum rivets that hold it together. Its only been 2 days worth of driving but it feels great and very smooth vs the junk parts i had originally used.
Taylor plug wires= tay-74236
Msd dizzy= msd-5592
Summit ign coil= sum-850503
Ngk plugs= ngk-3403
Summit racing part numbers if anyone is interested.

ge0rgin0

Reaction score
Im considering a new Ignition Coil & Control Module and now you mentioned Summit im gonna look into the prices. I have Duralast Gold Wires, Cap & Rotor for now just to get it running.

You know im glad I see MSD brand in this sort of setup, when I was younger i remember MSD was everywhere now we got ACCELA etc, is there some reason why u didnt just get MSD wires too?

bigfootchiro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check my sig. That’s what I use and it works much better than stock. Things seem to be a bit more responsive with the Vortec DynaMod ICM vs stock, too. I have swapped them back and forth to check the difference, and there’s a noticeable difference.

97WhiteYukon

Reaction score
I used the taylors on my Yukon and they worked perfect for the 5 years I had them. I might be wrong but I thought I heard of some problems with the msd wires, besides the price when I was doing the research.

J

james543

so i haven't gotten my account back yet (drakon543) but i feel an update on the msd distributor is needed. the msd gm upgrade distributor left me stranded last week. ive had plenty of failing distributors over the years but this is the first one that just straight up came apart. rotor plate apparently started coming off the shaft as i was driving broke the rotor and cap and damaged the cam sensor. since no stores around me carry that specific distributor i had to drop in a new premium cardone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts