Msd box- in my new truck but not connected

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jroman

Reaction score
anyone one have one? can you tell me what it should be hooked up to or how? just picked up a 97 4door tahoe and i noticed the box under the hood, not connected. air horns, not connected and a bunch of wires in trunk. guess at some point. the p.o had some things done. but now nothings connected.

thanks for any help.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can get a plug-and-play harness for the MSD box. It's been years, but I believe it has six wires: Positive and negative leads that go to the battery terminals (or negative to chassis or engine ground), two that connect to the ignition coil wires from the vehicle harness, and two that connect to the ignition coil, where those harness wires originally went to. It basically splices inline.

*EDIT*
I had to look it up and found this:

m468877__72201.1494967598.jpg

The adapter harness so you don't have to cut your factory wiring is around $40. Personally, I'd sell the MSD box before cutting the factory wiring or investing money in the harness. The MSD will make no measurable gain in performance and will burn up the terminals in the distributor much faster. If anything for ignition, I'd put the money towards new OEM components.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeC