MSD Atomic LS Throttle Body

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2015 Tahoe Man

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am looking to purchase the referenced TB from Auto Anything. I have a few questions:

1) How much more power will I get from stock (roughly)? I installed a CAI and the sound difference was amazing so I imagine there will be power too.

2) The site and reps indicate I'd need to make modification to the Throttle System? What kind of modifications? The instructions do not specify. I have uploaded the installation instructions here.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 2945.pdf
    88.9 KB · Views: 2

79jasper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do a bit more research on engine mods.
Just bolting a throttle on will gain you nothing. You would need engine tuning to go with it. Ported throttle bodies won't gain you much, mainly for people trying to squeeze every ounce of power at the higher end of power.
Also your CAI may "sound cool," but you're probably losing power with it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
2015 Tahoe Man

2015 Tahoe Man

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Do a bit more research on engine mods.
Just bolting a throttle on will gain you nothing. You would need engine tuning to go with it. Ported throttle bodies won't gain you much, mainly for people trying to squeeze every ounce of power at the higher end of power.
Also your CAI may "sound cool," but you're probably losing power with it.

I planned on doing a tune once I got a full exhaust. Also put shorty headers on there. I didn't know I'd lose power. Everything I have researched said the opposite. Is there any way to know how much I'd gain after a tune?

79jasper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your main increase in power will be from the tune, not the throttle body.
Far as the intake, the factory system is pretty efficient. If it's drawing underhood air, it's less efficient than factory.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
depending on the cai you could technically lose a few ponies. some systems call themselves a cai by just sticking the filter near the factory oem cold air intake pipes. if you got a good brand that atleast shields the filter and helps it draw air through those factory pipes when the hood is closed your gold. better systems either move the filter outside the engine bay entirely or add thier cold air intake pipes pulling from outside the engine bay. increasing the id of the tb may not even be noticeable without having the factory intake manifold ported to even utilize the new diameter tb. keep going in the direction your going but dont expect a huge difference until you get a tune.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The engine can't ingest more air than what the throttle body can pass. The throttle body is not a restriction. A larger one allows more air to pass for a given amount of throttle input. Look at it like a tuna can and a manhole cover. Open both 25%- which one will flow more volume? You can get the same results of a larger TB by simply pressing the throttle pedal a little further.

BTW, take that throttle body spacer and "Tornado" out of your cart as well.

Fifty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Black bear performance, a vendor here and a tuner, did a huge intake shoot out with no tune.
Yes there are gains to be had with just an intake.

as for the ported throttle body, you will often gain tip in throttle response and under peak gains.

the time where you will gain peak gains is if there is not a smoooth transition from the TB to the intake manifold. GM has made a step between the TB and the IM on some of their DI engines for some reason.
These DI engines NEED velocity more than increase ported flow. so getting rid of the step, and getting rid of any turbulence it causes, will give you a full rpm result

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tahoe Belgium