MPG towing and not towing (if not in right section please move )

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

97audia4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting about e85, I thought about it before last weekend but the area of NY I was going to is remote and it was even hard to find 93oct up there.

I used manual mode last time instead of tow haul due to it up and down shifting more often than I liked.

7-9 MPG on E85 towing a 14' extra height, V-nose trailer in the city while moving, idling the whole time. Tow/Haul used on heavier runs when weight was 5,000-6,000 pounds. Most runs were 4,000-5,000 pounds.

A few months later we used the same trailer to pick up a bedroom set about 40 miles away, towed at 55 mph like it wasn't even there. Once loaded up she would not come out of 4th on the highway at 60 or even 70 mph. Maybe we hit a headwind? Was still burning E85 and that tank delivered 7.88 mpg

View attachment 226116

This truck averages 11.4 MPG burning E85 and about 15 MPG combined averaged burning 93 octane gasoline through E30.

On that pull home in the picture, I think we were getting 5-6 mpg on E85 in 4th @ 65 mph. Burning gasoline or low amounts of ethanol she'll deliver 20 mpg at 65 mph.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2012 denali xl awd 6.2l 6spd 3.42, i'm sitting on 8mpg for a while now not towing anything, occasionally I get 8.1 :( im kinda bewildered because I was getting 10-10.4, trucks runs good no issue's I can find at all. and I'm running 92 octane consistently.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2012 denali xl awd 6.2l 6spd 3.42, i'm sitting on 8mpg for a while now not towing anything, occasionally I get 8.1 :( im kinda bewildered because I was getting 10-10.4, trucks runs good no issue's I can find at all. and I'm running 92 octane consistently.

Time for new cats?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know it's only got 120k (roughly), would the cat temps tells me anything?

Not sure about the temps but the downstream sensor movement can tell you. If they move around too much, the cats are not doing their job. Should throw codes but maybe you're right before that point.

Oh, mine were replaced at 123K.

Last edited:

gpracer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IR temp gun, the cats should be hotter than the rest of the exhaust system if working.

thompsoj22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
california native "REPUBLICAN" high desert
Too many variables. 14-15 not towing seems normal. How fast are you towing? A toyhauler is an aero brick. So towing at 70 you would get 7-8.

Slow to 60 and it should get better.

Been reading some articles in RV'ing mag's and the whole aerodynamic thing is basically a scam. other than airstream trailer design, The slanted nose, V nose travel trailers do little to nothing in regard to aerodynamic effeciency. Basically you have to go slower to create less drag/wind resistance and attain better mpg, The faster you go the more drag you create and the worse mileage you get. The wind force on the front of a travel trailer at 55 is multiplyed by four times at 70? The weight of the tow load on level ground is less of an effect than the wind resistance.

Last edited:

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The poor MGP while NOT towing....
Well, could be plugs, wires, air filter, poor fuel quality,
worn out upstream Oxygen Sensors, dirty MAF, dirty throttle body,
poor condition trans & differential fluids, wrong/bad engine oil..
Lots of factors... All of these are items that should have been
replaced at least once already by 123 K and 8 years old

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
llujum