MPG towing and not towing (if not in right section please move )

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ftwflh

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
What is the avg mpg for not towing?My 2012 Tahoe is getting 14-15 not towing and 7-8 towing a 15ft toy hauler/camper with 2 bikes and generator in it.
What is everyone else getting and is there any way to get better?
I am going to try a Range AFM delete module.Is that a good route?

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does your rig have a tow package and are you using it when towing? I tend to get a little better mpg not using it but my area is mostly flat.

OP
OP
ftwflh

ftwflh

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Does your rig have a tow package and are you using it when towing? I tend to get a little better mpg not using it but my area is mostly flat.
Yes it has tow package.Last time I towed with it I was mostly in 5th in hills.tried it in D on the flat roads towards home and it SEEMED to do better.Just really like to see comparisons and if D is better than say 5th or 4th for pulling

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
It's really hard to give an estimate on MPG when there are so many different options available on these rigs.

For example...

'07-'08 Tahoes came with the 4 speed trans.
'09+ Tahoes came with the 6 speed trans.
(I gathered from your other post that you have an '09+ with the 6 speed)

5.3 VS 6.2

5.3 is obviously the most common but 6.2 Tahoes are out there.

Also the gear ratios will make a big difference in MPG as well.

3:08s would give you better MPG on the highway but would be a dog driving around town and even worse trying to get up to speed while towing.

3:42s are pretty common/standard.

3:73s (which is what my Burb has) are geared more for towing so you lose a little bit of MPG on the interstate but they accelerate faster and pull better.

4:10s pull the best but you will turn a lot more RPMs on the interstate... reducing MPG even more.

Then there is RWD VS 4WD which also affects MPG.

What I'm saying is if you want to get a more accurate answer from others to compare yours to, you need to be more specific and give more details on your particular rig.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score

3:08s would give you better MPG on the highway but would be a dog driving around town and even worse trying to get up to speed while towing.

3:73s (which is what my Burb has) are geared more for towing so you lose a little bit of MPG on the interstate but they accelerate faster and pull better.

4:10s pull the best but you will turn a lot more RPMs on the interstate... reducing MPG even more.

What I'm saying is if you want to get a more accurate answer from others to compare yours to, you need to be more specific and give more details on your particular rig.
3.08 is fine if you have the torque to back it up

OP
OP
ftwflh

ftwflh

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It's really hard to give an estimate on MPG when there are so many different options available on these rigs.

For example...

'07-'08 Tahoes came with the 4 speed trans.
'09+ Tahoes came with the 6 speed trans.
(I gathered from your other post that you have an '09+ with the 6 speed)

5.3 VS 6.2

5.3 is obviously the most common but 6.2 Tahoes are out there.

It is a basic 2012 5.3 with tow package,3.42 gearing with 4wd,HD trans pak.I was pulling in 2wd.I do understand gearing very well.Just figured 3.42 would be decent since my Silverado only has 3.08 and it is a dog pulling and uses gas like crazy.(15 mpg and it is 4.3 6cyl)

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
7-9 MPG on E85 towing a 14' extra height, V-nose trailer in the city while moving, idling the whole time. Tow/Haul used on heavier runs when weight was 5,000-6,000 pounds. Most runs were 4,000-5,000 pounds.

A few months later we used the same trailer to pick up a bedroom set about 40 miles away, towed at 55 mph like it wasn't even there. Once loaded up she would not come out of 4th on the highway at 60 or even 70 mph. Maybe we hit a headwind? Was still burning E85 and that tank delivered 7.88 mpg

20181201_104831_Film1.jpg

This truck averages 11.4 MPG burning E85 and about 15 MPG combined averaged burning 93 octane gasoline through E30.

On that pull home in the picture, I think we were getting 5-6 mpg on E85 in 4th @ 65 mph. Burning gasoline or low amounts of ethanol she'll deliver 20 mpg at 65 mph.

Bigkevschopshop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
11 roughly with 18-22 ft car hauler loaded 13 unloaded. 12 burb with the dog 3.08 6 speed helps. 3.73 is where I want to be ultimately. 3.42 should do you fine. I think the 4wd and maybe tires and pressures are hurting yours. Rolling resistance and pressures can kill mpg.

References
Had a 6.2 silverado that averaged 18 unloaded and 16 heavy loaded with 3.42 but was 2wd. Had a viper truck that averaged 12 no matter with or without a trailer.

gpmcdowell

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2019 Suburban Premier Plus: with 2 ton tow load at 70 mph averaged 12.5 mpg. No tow load got 22.5 mpg @ 70 mph. No tow load @80 mph got 18.2. Average mpg for trip of 4100 miles half with load and half without was 15.6 mpg.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KCW_Andrew