Motor Noise in Rear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Deke736

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi all, I have a 2018 Tahoe RST Premiere 4x4 and I need some help. When I start up and sometimes while driving, I hear a motor sound coming from the rear. It sounds somewhat like a fuel pump or water pump, but it only runs for around 10-15 seconds. Any ideas of what it is?

Also, after parking I hear air pressure release in the rear as well. I have magnetic ride, so I know it can’t be an air pump or air ride. What would that be?

Sorry for the dumb questions, but I’ve been under the truck and I can’t figure out what these are!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

humer101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I have a 2018 Tahoe RST Premiere 4x4 and I need some help. When I start up and sometimes while driving, I hear a motor sound coming from the rear. It sounds somewhat like a fuel pump or water pump, but it only runs for around 10-15 seconds. Any ideas of what it is?

Also, after parking I hear air pressure release in the rear as well. I have magnetic ride, so I know it can’t be an air pump or air ride. What would that be?

Sorry for the dumb questions, but I’ve been under the truck and I can’t figure out what these are!

The air from the back id the auto leveling system that is to prevent that the truck sink in the back.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can also hear it from time to time while driving. The air compressor kicks on (the motor sound) to raise the back and the air sound you’re hearing is letting it out.

humer101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can also hear it from time to time while driving. The air compressor kicks on (the motor sound) to raise the back and the air sound you’re hearing is letting it out.
I don't think that is any way you can hear the compressor click on & off while you are driving making noise with the wind and surface.

OP
OP
D

Deke736

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I didn’t think there was a compressor for the ride level on a 2018. I know it has the magnetic ride shocks. When I leveled the rear with the NorcalSS kit I never saw any air lines. Is the auto level system separate from the magnetic shocks?

humer101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn’t think there was a compressor for the ride level on a 2018. I know it has the magnetic ride shocks. When I leveled the rear with the NorcalSS kit I never saw any air lines. Is the auto level system separate from the magnetic shocks?

Yes, it is a compressor from 2009 till today, if you want to hear go to home depot and an 80 pounds cement bag in the back, and you will listen to the compressor lifting the car.
However if you don't have a magnetic ride, you will not hear the compressor, just confirm that you have magnetic ride.

OP
OP
D

Deke736

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yes, it is a compressor from 2009 till today, if you want to hear go to home depot and an 80 pounds cement bag in the back, and you will listen to the compressor lifting the car.

Thanks! I had no idea there was still a compressor back there. That’s definitely what it sounds like and it makes sense. I just didn’t know it was there on these newer Tahoe’s.

humer101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks! I had no idea there was still a compressor back there. That’s definitely what it sounds like and it makes sense. I just didn’t know it was there on these newer Tahoe’s.

Tahoe's do not have a magnetic ride except the LTZ package.

OP
OP
D

Deke736

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

humer101

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Forum statistics

Threads