Monroe or Stock Shock/Strut replacement?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's decision time for the OP. We've all given our perspectives and recommendations. Time to act.

OP
OP
stimpster

stimpster

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yes, I will be doing the GM install, but I need to wait until they offer Saturday service again or get a tech in on a Saturday to do it, unless I can figure out how to get it there during the week with working. Now I need to be sure it's not the pre-assembled strut, but them getting all the separate parts that one user said was better.... I worked at this dealership 10 years ago and still get employee pricing, so I have almost all my service done there.

What is "OP"?

I spend more time on Camaro6.com than here, but I've been reading the email updates every week for a long time...

I've been restoring and customizing the Yukon XL. All the emblems have been changed to black and the 3 piece front grille and emblem are being upgraded today. Next is complete 100% detail and ceramic coating before I try half-heartedly to sell it. If it sells I'll buy a new one (2023 Suburban), if not, I'll keep driving it, since I bought it new. I wanted to do the wheels glass black PVD, but I can't figure out the logistics to do it.

The only repair left after shocks/struts is the Service Airbag light is on, which can be up to $500 to fix. New engine only has ~35k miles on it.

GranPrix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, I will be doing the GM install, but I need to wait until they offer Saturday service again or get a tech in on a Saturday to do it, unless I can figure out how to get it there during the week with working. Now I need to be sure it's not the pre-assembled strut, but them getting all the separate parts that one user said was better.... I worked at this dealership 10 years ago and still get employee pricing, so I have almost all my service done there.

What is "OP"?

I spend more time on Camaro6.com than here, but I've been reading the email updates every week for a long time...

I've been restoring and customizing the Yukon XL. All the emblems have been changed to black and the 3 piece front grille and emblem are being upgraded today. Next is complete 100% detail and ceramic coating before I try half-heartedly to sell it. If it sells I'll buy a new one (2023 Suburban), if not, I'll keep driving it, since I bought it new. I wanted to do the wheels glass black PVD, but I can't figure out the logistics to do it.

The only repair left after shocks/struts is the Service Airbag light is on, which can be up to $500 to fix. New engine only has ~35k miles on it.
OP: Thread starter

OP
OP
stimpster

stimpster

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
New engine? What happened to the original? AFM?

I was bad and let the oil run down about 3 quarts low twice... Eventually the rings on one of the pistons froze up so i was running on 7 cylinders. The dealership said they could free them up but they would just freeze up again soon. I got a complete LC9 long block (5.3 flex) with the dealership doing all the work, and added a new water pump (why put back on a 165k water pump?) for $10k even. I got quotes around town for $13k+, to keep my buddies honest. I have just over 201k now and it's been perfect. I did add the AFM defeater plug (I forget the brand) about 6k miles ago and love it! I do run only E85 and get about 12.5 mpg combined (I need more HP and Torque). The vehicle is in great shape and I've done a lot of other maintenance, so it's good for a long time to come. This reminds me to check the oil today... lol. Recently I put on a complete K&N system because it was the only one I found that fit right for my vehicle. I also removed the resonator from the exhaust and added a new performance muffler with black tailpipe. The front axles and seals have been replace, all new rotors and pads, new tires, new HVAC controls (I hated the worn buttons), and more. I'm excited about new shocks! As we speak a complete 4 piece front grille set in black is being installed (top/bottom/lower/emblem)...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staffie

Latest posts