Monroe or Stock Shock/Strut replacement?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stimpster

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi. My 2008 Yukon XL w/200k needs shocks/Struts. Do I install Monroe or the factory equipment? Price is about the same for me; I get a discount at the dealership.

Thanks!
Gary

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMO, factory struts, as they were designed specifically for your truck.

Black Bear tune - Black Bear is the company, and their specialty is to tune our trucks to better meet our specific needs (performance, towing, etc.).

OP
OP
stimpster

stimpster

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
IMO, factory struts, as they were designed specifically for your truck.

I agree. The problem is, both are same price, but the Monroe at the Tire place I go to is 4 miles away and open on Saturday, and the GMC Dealership I get a 20%+ discount at is 25+ miles away through traffic and not doing service on Saturday anymore.

Hard decision. Convenience or GM Factory parts. I'm sure the Monroe will be fine on my old Yukon XL.

Thanks

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I agree. The problem is, both are same price, but the Monroe at the Tire place I go to is 4 miles away and open on Saturday, and the GMC Dealership I get a 20%+ discount at is 25+ miles away through traffic and not doing service on Saturday anymore.

Hard decision. Convenience or GM Factory parts. I'm sure the Monroe will be fine on my old Yukon XL.

Thanks
You will pay for that convenience if you go with monroe over the factory stuff.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Thanks
There are places where an aftermarket part is equal to or better than OEM for these trucks, but they’re few. Lots of collective experience here on OEM suspension vs aftermarket. Ya pays your money, ya takes yer chances.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Thanks

There's no way factory GM struts are same price as Monroe even with your discount. They do not come assembled but rather have to be put together from 8 or 9 parts depending on suspension type.

Now, GM sells pre-assembled struts that are of no better quality than the Monroe. If you don't mind putting generic parts that were not tuned specifically for your truck and don't mind putting in new ones every couple of years, then they are for you. The original, GM OE parts lasted as long as they did because they are of the highest quality that I know of.

I see palm trees, are you in Florida, California or somewhere in between?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Thanks

That ~25 miles of inconvenience will be far overshadowed by the thousands of miles of inconvenience of putting up with possibly, maybe even likely sub-par struts. This is one of those choices that you will feel the consequences of every time you drive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518

Latest posts