Moisture=Money 5.7 no start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
pistnbroke88

pistnbroke88

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yeah, I've got to test both sensors while rotating the engine by hand...But im narrowed down and both are under 100$ I just thought working on other makes when either sensors go the engine will start/backfire/misfire. I come to the idea these l31 engines use the CMP and CPS work in sequence to find TDC for ign and injector timing if one is out of whack it will throw the timing off. Thats all i can think at this point...
-But like I said im new to the GM scene so its a trial and error.

OP
OP
pistnbroke88

pistnbroke88

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Problem solved! Its cold as heck out here but stopped raining and humidity is low. So I went out gave her a quick pep talk and she fired right up!
F' yeah boys, so its either the coil or cap both are cheap and will hopefully remedy the issue but Im guaranteed its not a fuel thing so happy day.

jerryjoe28

That Guy
Reaction score
x2 on the cap and rotor and DO NOT skimp on it go AC DELCO I went through 5 (yes 50 different store brands (3 from orileys and 2 from Napa) befor going delco. all 5 had different results but all 5 sucked lol. I have MSD now and it seems well made but it came with my dizzy

TigerEyz3

Slow and Steady
Reaction score
ACDelco cap and rotor for the win! I've had several different brands also (even MSD, which was built well, but didn't have the necessary venting that the ACDelco has).

itsagaas

Reaction score
ACDelco cap and rotor for the win! I've had several different brands also (even MSD, which was built well, but didn't have the necessary venting that the ACDelco has).
Just had same thing with my '96 5.7L gas 2-door. Cranked strong but would not fire after 4 days of rain... after running normally before the rain. Replaced the distributor cap, rotor and Hall Effect Switch (inside the distributor). Now fires up great even while raining. I am not sure which part fixed the problem. As long as the distributor was opened up I was doing all three parts anyway @ 178k miles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
44Dan