Mods Because Of Social Distancing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
If GM thought that it would be better for a lower temp thermo they would have put one in but I bet it has to do with better fuel readings with the higher temp stat. Emissions crap again.

OP
OP
donjetman

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's all about cylinder pressure. Cast aluminum doesn't absorb heat as well as cast iron, so you have to get it hotter to get the same cylinder pressure as cast iron.

I remember back in the day, 70s and early 80s, when cast aluminum heads first started showing up on Pro Stock drag race engines. All things be equal, in order to make the same hp, an aluminum headed engine needed to get the water temp to about 190* f before leaving the starting line, vs a cast iron head engine 170*.

Some nice things about aluminum is its lighter, and can be welded on easily.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Yes, aluminum dissipates heat very quickly. That is why aluminum heads came about and then aluminum blocks and radiators and such. It isn't the only reason but did play a big part. It is lighter as well.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hotter combustion chambers results in more complete fuel burn. Making things run a few degrees cooler probably won't make any notable positive or negative change. My guess is that, if anything, it may result in slightly more carbon in the chambers/on piston crowns after a few years.

Danny3737

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anybody else watch the Motor Trend show on how overfilling oil greatly reduces oil pressure, HP & Torque. They had on engine where the oil was filled to spec. and had a huge decrease in both when they hit 5K RPM’s. All the tests were done on a dyno.

steve45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The price of gasoline is the lowest in years. Due to massive over-supply, it will remain low for at least another year.

No reason to convert to 87 octane at this time, IMO.

Last edited:

Javie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Rocket Man . Last i remember no they didn't do a visual inspection on my truck just plugged in to the obd2 port and that was it. When i first took the cats out i had a local chevy guy re-tune the tahoe to keep the infamous code p0420 from coming on. Are you telling me this should be enough to make it pass?