Mod Tips?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kphil

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I was looking into adding a little extra power into my 01 5.3 Ls Tahoe, without completely sacrificing my trucks reliability. Any suggestions?

3Dog

Reaction score
I was looking into adding a little extra power into my 01 5.3 Ls Tahoe, without completely sacrificing my trucks reliability. Any suggestions?

What’s your budget? The guys here love to help folks spend money!:cool:

The thread sponsor is a good start. As WJ hinted at what do you want the end result to be? A HP number? More spirited drive? Better towing? Roasting tires? Climbing? Get away car?

I will second the advice about consulting the thread sponsor - Black Bear Performance. If you are thinking of doing the internet go-to mods of a CAI and exhaust, that may not help you much. Without a tune (or go big $$ with a blower), those CAI and exhaust mods are for sound effects on the 5.3L, not noticeable performance.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
All great initial advice from the folks on this Forum.

I'll second the question, "How much are you willing to spend?" That will form the basis for how you may proceed, both for the short term, and perhaps for the longer term, as well.

I'll second the recommendation regarding Black Bear Performance, as well. If they can provide a tune for your specific vehicle, that may well be the best bang for your dollars.

OP
OP
Kphil

Kphil

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
All great initial advice from the folks on this Forum.

I'll second the question, "How much are you willing to spend?" That will form the basis for how you may proceed, both for the short term, and perhaps for the longer term, as well.

I'll second the recommendation regarding Black Bear Performance, as well. If they can provide a tune for your specific vehicle, that may well be the best bang for your dollars.
Around a thousand

OP
OP
Kphil

Kphil

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The thread sponsor is a good start. As WJ hinted at what do you want the end result to be? A HP number? More spirited drive? Better towing? Roasting tires? Climbing? Get away car?
Not to sure yet, just testing the waters

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The tune and exhaust, depending on how deep you go, and intake should be under 1k but there are some experienced guys here that may know of some other tricks. The first thing I’d do is making sure you’re getting everything out of what you currently have like good plugs, wires, TB, trans are all up to *****. You may find a few ponies waiting to get out.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The tune and exhaust, depending on how deep you go, and intake should be under 1k but there are some experienced guys here that may know of some other tricks. The first thing I’d do is making sure you’re getting everything out of what you currently have like good plugs, wires, TB, trans are all up to *****. You may find a few ponies waiting to get out.

Very good point!!

Before spending money on mods, make sure that the basic stock components are all in good running shape. That is truly the best bang for your dollars associated with your truck.

Then, come the mods.