Misfire when warm.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
grouch

grouch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just throwing this out there. Years ago I had an OBDI truck and built a cable to connect to it with my laptop. I went and found my writeup in a different forum. Maybe it will help with seeing what's going on...

https://www.gmsquarebody.com/threads/connecting-with-a-laptop-with-tuner-pro-rt-and-diy-cable.13194/

My new fuel pump should be here tomorrow. If I still have issues, I'll look into that. The GF works in a nursing home and tested positive for Covid so the company sent me home to quarantine for 14 days. At least I'm getting paid for it.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
My new fuel pump should be here tomorrow. If I still have issues, I'll look into that. The GF works in a nursing home and tested positive for Covid so the company sent me home to quarantine for 14 days. At least I'm getting paid for it.
I hope you guys are ok. Good luck.

OP
OP
grouch

grouch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hope you guys are ok. Good luck.

Thanks. I'll be glad when this year is over. Covid-19, I thought I sprained my foot but it turns out I broke it. ****** hornets. Monoliths appearing and disappearing. Presidential elections. My biggest fear is this year is just a warm up.

OP
OP
grouch

grouch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dropped the tank and put a new fuel pump in. It's the original pump so it may have been failing. I've got a bit to do before I put the tank back in. Several rusted lines and the hanger in front was a jack leg set up thta I'll have to rework. At least the tank was clean inside with no rust. Maybe this was the issue. It certainly got bad fast. The truck would barely move with low fuel level.

OP
OP
grouch

grouch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I may have found the issue for my misfire. I dropped the tank and it's good and clean but the lines are eat up with rust. Since I had a pump and it was there, I replaced the pump. I also have to repair a jack leg earlier repair to the mounting strap.Repairing the lines and a new pump, it ought to be back like when I got the truck.

It's just taking forever. This Covid is beating me like a drum. What should be a 2-4 hour job is 5 days and counting.

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I may have found the issue for my misfire. I dropped the tank and it's good and clean but the lines are eat up with rust. Since I had a pump and it was there, I replaced the pump. I also have to repair a jack leg earlier repair to the mounting strap.Repairing the lines and a new pump, it ought to be back like when I got the truck.

It's just taking forever. This Covid is beating me like a drum. What should be a 2-4 hour job is 5 days and counting.
Take your time. With covid it’s “work and hour and rest for two”

OP
OP
grouch

grouch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take your time. With covid it’s “work and hour and rest for two”

I got treated with monoclonal antibodies yesterday. Last night was miserable but this morning I woke up feeling pretty good. I didn't realize how bad I felt until I didn't anymore. I figure the truck will be back together today. I bought a car a couple of weeks ago and I'd like to go get it out of their way. I'm hoping this weekend to be out of duress vile.

OP
OP
grouch

grouch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, got the new pump in and checked for leaks. No fuel smell and everything looks good. I'm still having a loss of power and back firing. It's not falling on its face like before but I can't get it to accelerate. I guess I'll rebuild the throttle body injection. Everything else is good. I've rebuild carburetors, this looks about the same.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I forget if has been addressed but I still say that you likely have a vacuum leak somewhere.

OP
OP
grouch

grouch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I forget if has been addressed but I still say that you likely have a vacuum leak somewhere.

That was one of th first things I looked for. I keep finding things that need to be addressed but just can't seem to find the throttle problem. It's not falling on it's face anymore. It won't accelerate. It used to speed up then fall flat. Now it won't speed up. I have noticed the tach blips when it's idling.