Misfire on number 8

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Mudsport96

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes only code and i haven't done plugs and wires since I bought it. It had i believe 116k on it when i got it but dont remember for sure. It is probably time for them, as i dont know if they were done prior to me buying it. And I am pretty sure it isn't just a miss, it feels like a completely dead hole.
After this cup of coffee I will head out and start pulling the plugs. Wish me luck.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Yes only code and i haven't done plugs and wires since I bought it. It had i believe 116k on it when i got it but dont remember for sure. It is probably time for them, as i dont know if they were done prior to me buying it. And I am pretty sure it isn't just a miss, it feels like a completely dead hole.
After this cup of coffee I will head out and start pulling the plugs. Wish me luck.
Had 116k miles when bought, how many miles now?

Pull ALL plugs and do a compression test on ALL cylinders. Post pics of ALL plugs in cylinder order. A dead whole feel? A bad plug can have a "no fire" condition and therefore the hole is dead.

OP
OP
Mudsport96

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had 116k miles when bought, how many miles now?

Pull ALL plugs and do a compression test on ALL cylinders. Post pics of ALL plugs in cylinder order. A dead whole feel? A bad plug can have a "no fire" condition and therefore the hole is dead.
145k now. Plugs all gapped at spec so the dealership must have done a full tune up before i got it.

Dead hole is what the guys and i called a cylinder that wasn't just misfiring once and a while. It was "dead" as in every rotation it did not fire.

I found the culprit and will update

OP
OP
Mudsport96

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok short version

Dead coil on cylinder 8.

Long version,

Check spark = no spark
I have a custom spark tester i made up out of an old sparkplug soldered to 3 feet of 12ga wire with an alligator clip on the end. That way I can stick it in a plug wire and clip it on the negative terminal to check spark.

Pull wire off of 4 and put on 8 coil... still no spark.

Move 4 coil to 8= spark

8 coil = dead.

Raid the parts bin and found a junkyard coil, hook up.... spark!

Backroads full throttle passes to clear plugs and clean cats.

All good now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
navyboy14094