Mircophones in roof of Denali making a Humming noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wade

Reaction score
I have a 2003 Denali. Ever since I had it, at a stand still with the radio off, in the silence of the running truck, you can hear a faint 'humming' sound being emitted from both front & rear little circular microphones I believe they are in the ceiling of the truck.

Any idea on how to fix that? Its annoying at traffic lights, etc when it can be heard.

tast101

Supporting Member
Reaction score
it's a little fan with a sensor thats tied to the Climate control. Just like a computer fan gets dirty and makes noise, these can too, so just get a can of air and blow it to seee if it cleans it out.

BlizzardX23

Supporting Member
Reaction score
...fans? no...lol

Hes talking about the microphones in the ceiling for onstar...Its directly above the driver seat...Mine does the same thing Wade...if this is what your talking about...

but I have an aftermarket navigation though

tast101

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm taking pics tomorrow, because I don't have onstar and I have the lil fan above the driverside left ear.

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
...fans? no...lol

Hes talking about the microphones in the ceiling for OnStar...Its directly above the driver seat...Mine does the same thing Wade...if this is what your talking about...

but I have an aftermarket navigation though. I took my microphone out already when I took my headliner out :) That's how I know it was a microphone for our OnStar

The OnStar microphone is what your talking about. Black 1/2 inch by 1 inch piece that clips on the upper center counsole that has the map lights in it. I think the piece he is talking about is the small plastic grill, about the size of a silver dollar that sits directly above the drivers left ear...

Here is the GM bulletin regarding it...

GM said:

Document ID# 1639237

Subject: Buzz Noise From Headliner Above Driver - keywords ac air aspirator cover fan grille HVAC interior microphone sensor speaker temperature vent vibration #PIT3511 - (03/29/2005)

Models: 2000-05 Cadillac Escalade

2002-05 Chevrolet Avalanche

2000-05 Chevrolet Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe

2000-05 GMC Sierra, Yukon, Yukon XL, Yukon Denali

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in the PI.

Condition/Concern:
Dealer or customer may comment that they have a buzz or vibration noise emanating from the headliner in an area that looks like microphone or a speaker.

Recommendation/Instructions:
The plastic escutcheon grill, which is round and about the size of a half dollar and located just above the driver to the left, is the interior ambient temperature sensor. The sensor is used in conjunction with the automatic HVAC (C68). On occasions, this sensor has been known to make a buzz or rattle sound. The sensor uses a small fan to pull air over the sensor. This buzz noise may be intermittent.

Although it may not be possible to alleviate all of the buzz or noise from this sensor, Engineering has found that if the sensor is installed incorrectly that it may bind and cause the fan to make a buzz noise. Remove the sensor and while doing so check for any binding. Reinstall the sensor and re-test. If the noise is still present, the sensor itself may be noisy and require replacement.

:Handshake:

Last edited:

BlizzardX23

Supporting Member
Reaction score
wow...I stand corrected...You guys were right, I was wrong.. :) I would have honestly bet my life it was a microphone when I unplugged it...I would have just died....oh well, you guys are smarter then I am..thats ok...Now I know why mine hums :(...very annoying

Maverick7687

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2003 and mine does the same thing. I did a little researching on it and found that service bulletin though so I wasn't that worried about it. How do those come out? Do they have little clips that pop out or does that side of the headliner have to be removed?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dvnt