Mild 6.0L Build Suggestions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I knew they had aluminum and iron diffs, but didn't know they had the same part number. Interesting! I guess that's why everyone on s10forum always said "you just have to look at it" when people were searching the yards and online for them.
Yeah pretty much why that was said. But, over on the old zr2usa forum, we kinda narrowed it down to the following.
Regular 4x4 auto aluminium

Regular 4x4 manual random

ZR2(Highrider) and BlaZeR2s auto aluminium

ZR2(Highrider), BlaZeR2s manual Iron

AWD Astro aluminum unless it had the tow package then it was random if it got iron or not.

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is wild... I wonder if the cast iron front diff could take a locker?

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
Lot of guys on zr2usa ran lockers in the aluminum case with little case failures was mostly the stub shaft.
I never broke either, i broke 10 rearends, 2 tcases, 3 60es, and a 4.3. No front diff or cv issues. Lol

Hijack over

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah pretty much why that was said. But, over on the old zr2usa forum, we kinda narrowed it down to the following.
Regular 4x4 auto aluminium

Regular 4x4 manual random

ZR2(Highrider) and BlaZeR2s auto aluminium

ZR2(Highrider), BlaZeR2s manual Iron

AWD Astro aluminum unless it had the tow package then it was random if it got iron or not.

"Random"- Just like with the "hop shock or not" S-trucks. Or was it the hop shock bracket that was random? Whatever...

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, I knew the stub shafts break. The new ZR2 comes with a locking IFS. I'd be inclined to install a locker in my front diff, I wonder how easily they break haha

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I interviewed a machine shop. Guy really knows his stuff. Going to dropoff rotating assembly as soon as I gwt the other rods in, stupid ebay seller is slow as mollases with shipping.

He recommended using the 5.3L heads, then he would cut larger intake valaves in them for me. He said the torque would be mich better...

I was always relicrant about the 5.3L heads due to compression being higher... I would be unable to run low octain (I go places where there is as low as 84 octain and nothing else sold. Makes me want to bw super careful about the compression ratio.

However he said he cc'd LQ9 setup and got 9.2:1... despite factory says they are 10.1:1

He said reguardless get a trailblazer ss intake and 90mm throttle body.

Any thoughts?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I interviewed a machine shop. Guy really knows his stuff. Going to dropoff rotating assembly as soon as I gwt the other rods in, stupid ebay seller is slow as mollases with shipping.

He recommended using the 5.3L heads, then he would cut larger intake valaves in them for me. He said the torque would be mich better...

I was always relicrant about the 5.3L heads due to compression being higher... I would be unable to run low octain (I go places where there is as low as 84 octain and nothing else sold. Makes me want to bw super careful about the compression ratio.

However he said he cc'd LQ9 setup and got 9.2:1... despite factory says they are 10.1:1

He said reguardless get a trailblazer ss intake and 90mm throttle body.

Any thoughts?

I agree to all.

The 706 heads are great for mild NA builds and really just need larger valves, as he proposed to do.

Yes, most, if not all LS heads' chamber volumes measure lower than advertised. This is why, when I'm aiming for a particular CR, I tell my head guy to "mill 'em to XXcc, but shave no more than XX thousandths."

The standard Gen4 intake manifold IS a "TBSS" intake. Get a manifold off of something boring like a cargo van. It'll be cheaper than one from a TBSS, yet it's the same thing.

I don't know if there's an adapter to plug in a stock Gen4 87mm TB. If there is, it'd probably be almost the same cost as a 90mm TB (LS2). So, shop around.

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So you think the 706 heads with larger valves would generate better power / down low than the 317?

Any idea what compression ratio the 706 heads would be with the flat top 6.0 pistons?

I am super concerned about compression as I go to places where they sell as low as 84 octaine and you cannot find any higher than 87.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will let you know :) thanks, reading up on everything yet.

Prob definately need the bigger 90mm tb. However cannot find a used one for sale. there are a bunch of generic ones for cheap... but not sure if I want unproven chinese parts haha

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I will let you know :) thanks, reading up on everything yet.

Prob definately need the bigger 90mm tb. However cannot find a used one for sale. there are a bunch of generic ones for cheap... but not sure if I want unproven chinese parts haha

I def wouldn't go the china route.