Mikeyss Build Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Tahoe has been pissy lately. Both batteries died, had a flat and have been driving on the spare for 3 weeks now because I'm STILL waiting on my replacement Sierra All Terrain wheel (the one that got damaged from defective ball joint failure), AND......... My 6L80 is giving me signs of pump failure.
Dammit. When it rains it pours sometimes.

OP
OP
mikeyss

mikeyss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Damn @mikeyss , sounds like you have my luck. Gonna dig in the trans?
I've been watching Richard at Precision transmission on YouTube, and the 6L80 is definitely out of my league. The snap ring holding the center support is enough to scare me!! I wish I could take the Tahoe to him and have him build it, but he's not in Colorado unfortunately. I am looking for one that's built to take up to 700 horses, I am only expecting 600 horses or so once I add a supercharger. I've been running into issues finding one that's complete, my searches come up just parts I'll need.

OP
OP
mikeyss

mikeyss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So..... I mentioned my shift flares and worries about my 170k trans with the extra added 100 HP from the new engine. I got to thinking.... When was the last time I cleaned my non oil type air filter... It was the summer BEFORE my original engine ate it's valve seat! Well living in Colorado, you can only imagine how clogged up the filter was. I cleaned the filter and removed at least 2lbs of dust and bugs... Since cleaning it, the shift flares are completely gone. Maybe the old 6L80 still has some life in it yet! I just need it to last at least 6 more months....

Fellow members.....Remember to keep your air cleaner and maf clean!!

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So..... I mentioned my shift flares and worries about my 170k trans with the extra added 100 HP from the new engine. I got to thinking.... When was the last time I cleaned my non oil type air filter... It was the summer BEFORE my original engine ate it's valve seat! Well living in Colorado, you can only imagine how clogged up the filter was. I cleaned the filter and removed at least 2lbs of dust and bugs... Since cleaning it, the shift flares are completely gone. Maybe the old 6L80 still has some life in it yet! I just need it to last at least 6 more months....

Fellow members.....Remember to keep your air cleaner and maf clean!!
Better change your cabin air filter then. The system might work better if it can breathe too. ;)

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did a thing..

View attachment 375210
I traded the 06 Sierra Denali in for this!! It has 42k on it and is something I've always wanted. Now that I have this, I can give the Tahoe a MUCH needed break, because the trans is on its last leg. It's playing shifting roulette these days!!
Don't show Wes! @Doubeleive

Do you think the Tahoe could make the run to Amarillo, Texas?

OP
OP
mikeyss

mikeyss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't show Wes! @Doubeleive

Do you think the Tahoe could make the run to Amarillo, Texas?
I have been thinking about that.... Like bring him a 6L90's 6 pinion input planet, and have all the sonex goodies put in as well. I *think* the Tahoe could make it there... Most of the issues I'm having are 1-2 shift is soft, sometimes hard, it flares....2-3 flares quite a bit, 3-4 is very lazy and soft. I usually don't get to 6th because of city driving and 6th is locked out till after 55mph or so in my tune.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fitransmission