Might be buying tahoe...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seems like I should still see what’s it’s all about. Engine and transmission are good and as long as it’s a easy and/or cheap repair it wouldn’t worry me much and it should be easier for me get it for the right price. I’ll probably go check it out

Agree - Good luck.

RaiderRodney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like you're in SC so we're in the same area (NC). Just be patient and try to find one, as suggested, well-maintained and with little to no rust. Unfortunately, most for sale around here are around 250k miles, some rust, and still around 5k :( But there are exceptions if you're patient....I looked for a few years before I found what I wanted. Good luck!

OP
OP
M

macheff03

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Looks like you're in SC so we're in the same area (NC). Just be patient and try to find one, as suggested, well-maintained and with little to no rust. Unfortunately, most for sale around here are around 250k miles, some rust, and still around 5k :( But there are exceptions if you're patient....I looked for a few years before I found what I wanted. Good luck!

Thanks very much and yes that’s exactly right! Can’t seem to find one with less than 250k miles but thankfully I’ve found an exception so at least I’ll see what it’s about.

live2pull

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some things I wish I knew to look at before I bought my 04 Denali with no known service records.

Exhaust studs constantly break, can be solved with Kral clamps. However, the permanent solution is always replacement.
Oil pan gaskets are issues, replace pickup tube oring at the same time as gasket. It seems like oil leaks are a general nuisance issue, at least with this generation.
I haven't had a problem with my trans, but the impression I get is the transmission is more like to have a catastrophic failure than the engine.
Check to see if drive cycle is ready, a decent single directional scanner will tell you. If is not, ask why was the computer reset recently. People may clear codes right away to hide the fact it is having throttle issues on drive by wire vehicles. (2003+)
Of course do your typical used car buying inspection, fluids, brakes, suspension, systems functionality, suspension noises, general drivability.

OP
OP
M

macheff03

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well a little update for those who want it

That first one I was talking about with the coolant issue sold so it’s a no on that one which is fine because I was a bit concerned about the leak but I have found another one with a new transmission and 180k on the engine so a bit higher mileage but that transmission deal has me interested

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Now your inspection process starts all over again. Don't get frustrated and start skipping what you know you should check. If you get a real good feel about one and have reached your limitations on what you can check, take the rig to a trusted tech and have them lift it and check it all out and pressure test the cooling system and literally inspect as much as possible. I just went thru this and was looking for a "newer" rig but ended up keeping my 2002. Good luck.

As a former tech and service manager I know what to look for but have no lift to use. Info is very important because I always like to make an informed decision. Gut instinct is not a money saver sometimes.