Might be buying tahoe...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
M

macheff03

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just make sure if there is a coolant leak that it is not coming from the ac drain. The ac drain runs out of the lower portion of the passenger side firewall if there is coolant coming out from there this will indicate s leaking heater core and will require the removal of the dash and evacuation of the ac system.

I’m not sure I’ll be able to tell if it’s not currently leaking. Last time he checked it he didn’t have to fill it but yes I’ll check. I’ll bring a code reader as well to see what the engine code is.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Owner said in the front, where the coolant is filled but he said ac is also there so didn’t know if it was condensation or not. He also said now that the last time he checked coolant it wasn’t low

Depending on who did the water pump replacement, they may not have bled the system fully when they refilled it and the low coolant could have been from air finally working its way out of the system. Especially if it hadn't been driven much. I am assuming the guy or the son didn't check to see what the fluid on the ground was by checking the color or smelling it. When the engine is running and hot, can you smell antifreeze? It has a distinct odor and has alerted me to more than a couple coolant system issues. My 80 year old mother had a wet spot under her car last year and when she called to tell me about it she said she stuck her finger in it and it smelled like coolant and it turned out she had a pin hole leak in a hose.

Owner had it since 2014 and engine light has been on throughout his ownership, so he says, but has all service records

I would be curious as to how a guy has a full set of service records for his vehicle yet the SEL light has been on for 5 years. I would think a proper mechanic that would provide records would have identified the cause of the SEL.

Last edited:

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m not sure I’ll be able to tell if it’s not currently leaking. Last time he checked it he didn’t have to fill it but yes I’ll check. I’ll bring a code reader as well to see what the engine code is.
it's normal for the ac to drip condensation (water) from the bottom passenger side, a leaking heater core would be pretty rare

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
it's normal for the ac to drip condensation (water) from the bottom passenger side, a leaking heater core would be pretty rare

Also, a leaking heater core will often result in a film on the inside of the windshield and a smell of antifreeze inside the vehicle.

OP
OP
M

macheff03

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Also, a leaking heater core will often result in a film on the inside of the windshield and a smell of antifreeze inside the vehicle.

I asked him if there is a smell of coolant inside. Honestly I wouldn’t be surprised if it was just ac condensation from working so hard in the summer heat we get down here

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I asked him if there is a smell of coolant inside. Honestly I wouldn’t be surprised if it was just ac condensation from working so hard in the summer heat we get down here

I think you have some folks trying to sell a vehicle that don't know much about vehicles and in an effort do the right thing and give full disclosure, they ended up confusing the situation.

I would definitely put a code reader on the thing to see what codes are there.

Based on what you have described with the coolant being low a couple of times and then suddenly not being low, I would guess they just had some air in the system from when the water pump was replaced.

If there isn't an odor of coolant, inside or outside under the hood, when the vehicle is running and warmed up, then you probably don't have an external leak.

I would pull the oil dipstick and smell the oil to see if you get any whiff of coolant. You could even offer to pay for an oil change and take him along and see what the oil looks like when it comes out of the pan to see if there is any evidence of coolant. I offered to do that once and the guy got really weird, but he finally agreed. When the service tech drained the oil, the blackest, sludgiest crap came out which completely debunked the story the guy was giving me that he changed the oil himself regularly. Killed the sale, but was worth the $50 I paid for the oil change.

OP
OP
M

macheff03

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I think you have some folks trying to sell a vehicle that don't know much about vehicles and in an effort do the right thing and give full disclosure, they ended up confusing the situation.

I would definitely put a code reader on the thing to see what codes are there.

Based on what you have described with the coolant being low a couple of times and then suddenly not being low, I would guess they just had some air in the system from when the water pump was replaced.

If there isn't an odor of coolant, inside or outside under the hood, when the vehicle is running and warmed up, then you probably don't have an external leak.

I would pull the oil dipstick and smell the oil to see if you get any whiff of coolant. You could even offer to pay for an oil change and take him along and see what the oil looks like when it comes out of the pan to see if there is any evidence of coolant. I offered to do that once and the guy got really weird, but he finally agreed. When the service tech drained the oil, the blackest, sludgiest crap came out which completely debunked the story the guy was giving me that he changed the oil himself regularly. Killed the sale, but was worth the $50 I paid for the oil change.

That’s a pretty good idea, and yes I’ll pull codes for sure. Now the water pump was replaced in January of 2018, seems a little long ago for it to still have air in the system... right? It wouldn’t need replacing again already though, I wouldn’t think.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s a pretty good idea, and yes I’ll defiantly pull codes. Now the water pump was replaced in January of 2018, seems a little long ago for it to still have air in the system... right? It wouldn’t need replacing again already though, I wouldn’t think.

Depending on how much it was driven, it could take a while for all the air to bleed out. I would hope a water pump would last more than 1-1/2 years.

Chris2144

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Have had it happen to me although I agree it is rare but can happen just wanted to give the OP some info so he can rule out a costly and time consuming problem

OP
OP
M

macheff03

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Depending on how much it was driven, it could take a while for all the air to bleed out. I would hope a water pump would last more than 1-1/2 years.

Seems like I should still see what’s it’s all about. Engine and transmission are good and as long as it’s a easy and/or cheap repair it wouldn’t worry me much and it should be easier for me get it for the right price. I’ll probably go check it out