Michelin Premier vs ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SouthernAZ

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had some factory 22s (with Michelin Premiers) put on my 2015 Yukon XL that previously had 18s with Michelin Defenders. The truck rode well with the 18s. I understood going into this that the truck would ride a little harsher, however it is vibrating from about 70 mph on up. I've had the wheels road force balanced twice at Discount Tire to no avail.

They offered to switch me to some other tire, but will not put the Michelin Defenders on due to the load rating of the Defenders being 110, the Premiers are 114. Has anyone had this vibration issue with the Premiers? What tire did you switch to? Is there anywhere that definitively has what load rating our trucks require? I haven't been able to find it anywhere.

I know this is long and rambling, but thanks for reading!

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your reasoning to not put the Michelin Defender’s on your vehicle is interesting...

You do realize that the 285/45/22 Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza also carries a 110H load rating. Which is the stock OEM tire GM has been using on 22” rims across almost all of their full size SUV’s (and some full size trucks) with 22’s as factory options.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had some factory 22s (with Michelin Premiers) put on my 2015 Yukon XL that previously had 18s with Michelin Defenders. The truck rode well with the 18s. I understood going into this that the truck would ride a little harsher, however it is vibrating from about 70 mph on up. I've had the wheels road force balanced twice at Discount Tire to no avail.

They offered to switch me to some other tire, but will not put the Michelin Defenders on due to the load rating of the Defenders being 110, the Premiers are 114. Has anyone had this vibration issue with the Premiers? What tire did you switch to? Is there anywhere that definitively has what load rating our trucks require? I haven't been able to find it anywhere.

I know this is long and rambling, but thanks for reading!

Did they rotate the tire on the wheel and balance again?

You can run those Defenders on your truck, they will exceed your axle's GRAWR at 44 psi by over 400 pounds. Not a whole lot of tread depth on those Premiers.

Find out what the OE 22" tire is for your truck. Your rear axle rating is probably 4200 pounds so the tires should at the very least equal that at the air pressure required on the door sticker. this often requires some serious googling.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Premier’s are not Michelin’s best work, I suppose even the greats make a fumble occasionally. Swap them for the Defender LTX and you’ll be much happier.

Also, being that you have a 15 you might need the updated steering gear bushings to completely resolve your vibration.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne