Metallic Sound when Engine Running

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tiktok4321

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a strange metallic sound only when the engine is running. I don't have any issues with driving. Any thoughts on this?

It sounds like crumpled tin siding dragging under the car...

Unique to Hybrid? Common to ICE Tahoes?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m no expert on hybrids but metal sounds are never good. Need more info. Any codes? Doesn’t do it in electric mode? Coming from where under the car? Sounds intensifies with speed? Oil level ok? No metal on dipstick?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Any loose heat shields?

Yea, first thing I thought of was the heat shield rattle possibility. Shields on exhaust and starter and anywhere else can be notorious for noises. Specifically the exhaust heat shields. Especially in areas that use salt on the roads.

Does it make a difference, at idle, if you are in gear or not? Maybe a flex plate rattle as well.

OP
OP
tiktok4321

tiktok4321

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll check the heat shields. It only happens when the ICE is active, regardless of gear position.

OP
OP
tiktok4321

tiktok4321

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I own a 2002 Tahoe. What is ICE?
Internal combustion enginee. Just a way of differentiating the hybrid propulsion system from the conventional engine.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sound speeds up when you do? Can you force the ICE on while in park? If so still hear it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts