Messed up my gf's 2007 Denali when doing an oil change - HELLLLP

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My oil plug is heli-coiled. Been that way since before I bought it. I considered replacing the pan when I had the engine out, but decided that stainless steel threads were stronger than aluminum and this has never given me any indication of failure.

@jbluemke, chances are that the threads were already worn and/or damaged and you just finished them off. I'd bet that there's not enough clean aluminum to simply chase it with the stock size tap and screw in a stock drain bolt. I'd have it assessed by a PROFESSIONAL to see if they'd Helicoil it or drill it out one size larger to remove the damaged aluminum then tapped for the next size up bolt. It'd then be as good as new, just a slightly larger drain hole. Keep note of the new drain plug thread size in case you ever need to replace the plug.

Jason in DLH

Cheeseburger and Fries
Reaction score
When you finally figured out how to drain the oil, did you refill at the trans fill tube too?

The sad part of this was that I had been changing my own oil for 19 years.

It was when I had the transmission pan off and changing its fluid, etc, so I was good to go after I retorqued it.

Just Fishing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don’t worry...you’re not alone. One night I went out to change the oil and went ahead to remove the drain plug. No oil came out! I then realized I took off a bell housing bolt.
:yaoface2:

I have done stuff like that, as soon as i realize it i usually stop touching anything until i sober up.
If not it's like the intake fiasco all over again.

:yuno:

:win:

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I have done stuff like that, as soon as i realize it i usually stop touching anything until i sober up.
If not it's like the intake fiasco all over again.

:yuno:

:win:
It’s funny, sort of but I was a drunk for so long I was better at many things while intoxicated than I am now sober. Welding, thinking, wrenching and even smashing with Mrs. GeorgeB.

Just Fishing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s funny, sort of but I was a drunk for so long I was better at many things while intoxicated than I am now sober. Welding, thinking, wrenching and even smashing with Mrs. GeorgeB.

I've heard someone tell me they were like that.
And i have to say that most of the time i would have never guessed except i saw them drinking before hand.

For a while there i was a weekend drunk, never a drop on the week days as it messed with my logic for work.

Now old me, i'm cutting way back

Working to limit my self to a max of every other weekend.
And i get a single evening on that weekend.

I also stopped keeping anything in the house for the most part.
I try and only drink when i take my wife out to dinner, and then it's Utah rules.
3 tall beers for the first hour or something like that.
And of course, she drives home.
I follow the "not a drop" rule for driving.

And I'm Getting Old!
I have this fear of another stroke (98% sure i had one last summer), i know people that got really fkd up afterwards.

Scary stuff.