Media upgrade 06 Escalade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

m1949

LS364/450
Reaction score
I'm looking to upgrade the O.E. Stereo on my 06 Escalade and would appreciate comments or suggestions. Ideally, I would like to go to a 3 din head unit that can be fitted into the double din of the present stereo and the din where the climate control is located. This poses a number of challenges, including:

1. locating a digital din unit with integrated climate controls.
2. Locating a head unit with a display which fills all three din spaces.
3. Finding a 3 din trim bezel that fits an 06 Escalade.

All suggestions are appreciated.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't have a specific recommendation, based on your 3 din head requirement. I suggest that you look at Crutchfield.com, as they have all of the available units and associated interconnection hardware, and their prices are competitive. Folks here typically like Kenwood and Pioneer, but that are other good brands out there, as well.

OP
OP
m1949

m1949

LS364/450
Reaction score
I don't have a specific recommendation, based on your 3 din head requirement. I suggest that you look at Crutchfield.com, as they have all of the available units and associated interconnection hardware, and their prices are competitive. Folks here typically like Kenwood and Pioneer, but that are other good brands out there, as well.
Thanks for the stereo advice. Looking at the photos of your fine 07 Denali brings up another question. I just got an 06 Esky and am having installed a GM performance LS366/450 engine equipped with shortie headers. I need to settle on the exhaust configuration soon. I'm told the normal setup for dual exhausts is to do an x crossover and run both pipes down the passenger side. I've been told this is the only setup possible because the fuel tank and spare tire prevent running a pipe straight back on driver side. I notice your setup with exhaust tips on opposite sides. That's what I'd like to do. How did you achieve that?

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the stereo advice. Looking at the photos of your fine 07 Denali brings up another question. I just got an 06 Esky and am having installed a GM performance LS366/450 engine equipped with shortie headers. I need to settle on the exhaust configuration soon. I'm told the normal setup for dual exhausts is to do an x crossover and run both pipes down the passenger side. I've been told this is the only setup possible because the fuel tank and spare tire prevent running a pipe straight back on driver side. I notice your setup with exhaust tips on opposite sides. That's what I'd like to do. How did you achieve that?
Thank you for your kind words on my truck. Much appreciated.

You are correct on the fitment specifications for a dual exhaust, with pipes exiting on each side of the truck. To achieve this setup, I had to sacrifice my spare tire and its heat shield.

I thought long and hard about this requirement, and then I recalled that I ran my '97 Yukon (RIP) for 5 years essentially without a spare tire, since the spare tire assembly was locked solid with rust and was never operable. I purchased one of those tire sealer/inflator kits, and I keep it in the truck, in the event that I get a flat tire. It is a risk, but one that I am comfortable with, in order to have this specific dual exhaust setup.

I want to note that this specific dual exhaust system (Gibson Extreme) is very loud, and most folks would consider this system to be too loud for their preference.

OP
OP
m1949

m1949

LS364/450
Reaction score
Thank you for your kind words on my truck. Much appreciated.

You are correct on the fitment specifications for a dual exhaust, with pipes exiting on each side of the truck. To achieve this setup, I had to sacrifice my spare tire and its heat shield.

I thought long and hard about this requirement, and then I recalled that I ran my '97 Yukon (RIP) for 5 years essentially without a spare tire, since the spare tire assembly was locked solid with rust and was never operable. I purchased one of those tire sealer/inflator kits, and I keep it in the truck, in the event that I get a flat tire. It is a risk, but one that I am comfortable with, in order to have this specific dual exhaust setup.

I want to note that this specific dual exhaust system (Gibson Extreme) is very loud, and most folks would consider this system to be too loud for their preference.
I'm not after loud. The plan is for this to be my wife's around town drive and for occasional road trips; and she's not a fan of loud. So I plan to go for subdued mellow. I'm leaving muffler selection to the guy who is doing the build. BTW, is your exhaust done with H or X crossovers?

I'd like to run my exhaust out each side; or better yet, center them below the license plate. I'm removing the tow package and am kicking around the idea of customizing the rear bumper, or maybe trashing it and going with a DG Motorsport roll pan. Two problems with the latter option though. 1. Not crazy about having an exposed fiberglass backend. 2. I haven't bee able to locate anyone who has done the conversion to check the quality of fit and difficultly level of install. For now, I'm leaning toward customizing the existing bumper (which in my opinion is the ugliest thing on the early Tahoe/Yukon/Escapade.) My thought is to replace the rubber step pads with welded on metal plates for a smooth and blended edge finish and then paint the whole thing the same color as the Esky. I think exhaust pipes would look good centered about 6" apart with the bumper hitch receiver removed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu