Mechanic needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
M

mpicasso

Reaction score
Ok. I see what you are getting at now. In the 26 years that I have owned my truck.
Things that have left me stranded away from home:
-Fuel pump
-Alternator
-Battery
-Leaking Radiator End Caps
-4x4 Actuator
Brakes seized on this vehicle literally 2 days after being in for a once over. Had vehicle towed to mechanic who only fixed one side (I have since put new calipers, rotors, lines, pads, etc.). Still have what seems to be rusty bearings (rubbing noise on rear axle). See a floating rubber piece up by front tire and steering can be a little "clunky". Vehicle drives so keep driving, is what I am told.
Understand crap comes up but getting tired of renting vehicles...

OP
OP
M

mpicasso

Reaction score
With these trucks, I tend to side with the mechanic for the most part... (See exception below.)

Swapping stuff out, just because a part is old does not always work out for the better.
A lot of factory original parts that have gone 100k+ miles may have been produced at a time when quality was better. New parts aren't necessarily better parts.

If it works great, think twice about swapping a perfectly good original part for a possibly inferior after-market, new part.

The exception I would say, based on my personal mishaps, would be to consider definitely being proactive when it comes to wheel hub assemblies. If you have no idea how old they are or suspect the might even be originals, think about replacing the hub assemblies (with speed sensors). At higher mileages, the original hubs are probably not far from failure.

Most new hubs come with matched and tested ABS wheel speed sensors already installed. Don't cheap out. Get the best your budget can afford. Better quality hubs will probably last as long as you own your truck. Cheap hubs may get you by for a short while, but you may have to replace them a second time. Avoid that. Get good ones...
Brakes seized 2 days after being in for inspection and only 1 side replaced. Other was VERY rusty. Have replace all.
Steering makes some clunky sound with little bumps in the road. Piece of rubber just floating around on a shaft. Rear axle making rough, almost grinding sounds (guessing it is bearings).
I am trying to find OEM parts where I can, as I agree...some of this aftermarket stuff is junk.
Have always had Toyota and Honda vehicles so some of this stuff can be normal/acceptable. Just wanting to make sure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9

Latest posts