Max tire width, no lift/level

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am looking to put a set of A/T tires on a new tahoe high country, and curious what the max width is before having rubbing issues (sway bars, steering knuckles, fender liners etc.) using the factory rims. The factory size tires are very limited…basically no good A/T tires at all. The previous size we used was 285/45/22, which there are many tires available for that size, but that tire is a bit shorter than the original. I was thinking about going with a 305/45/22, which is same overall height as the stockers and there are several tires available in that size.

Any rubbing issues with a 305 on factory rims?

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't specifically comment on your year vehicle, but on my 07 with 20" wheels, I run 305/50x20 Michelin Defender tires on stock the stock wheels with no rubbing.

Regarding wheel/tire combinations that will fit your truck without rubbing, no 2 trucks and their suspensions are exactly alike, due to a number of factors including accumulated wear on the suspension components and different wheel widths and offsets, so there is no guarantee that what fits with no rubbing on one truck will automatically fit with no rubbing on your truck. Other folks' experiences can guide you in one direction or another, but the final test will be when you mount the wheel/tire combination on your own truck.

To assist you in getting a good idea on whether or not specific alternate wheel/tire combinations 'may' fit your truck with no rubbing, I recommend that you use the wheel/tire comparison app at the URL listed below. You can use this app starting with your existing wheel/tire combination as a benchmark, assuming that there are currently no rubbing issues with it, and measure the actual critical fender and suspension component clearances as directed by this app. Then, you can enter alternate wheel/tire combinations, and this app will give you the projected changes in these critical fender and suspension component clearances.

https://www.wheel-size.com/calc/

I used this app for determining whether on not I could use my current alternate wheel/tire combination, and it accurately projected the changes in critical clearances. Again, the use of this app in not an absolute guarantee that an alternate wheel/tire combination will fit without rubbing, but it provides a much better assessment, or projection, than simply an educated guess on your part, or a statement from others that it worked on a truck other than yours.

ljn21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think one issue with the 305/45/22 size is that most (all?) manufacturers are spec’ing 9.5-11” wheels for that width and our OEM wheels are 9”.

ljn21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Obviously doesn’t change the actual width of the tire and they are a polarizing topic/option but you could run small wheel spacers to push the wheel further outward, would give the appearance of a wider stance. Use only high quality hub centric spacers if you go this route.

Last edited:
OP
OP
olyelr

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info fellas.

I do not want to use wheel spacers. Nothing really against them, as i have ran them before and not had issues (and have seen whistlindiesel stack several of them on top of each other with super offset wheels and jump the vehicle with no issues lol). But i just dont want to dick with wheel spacers.

I wanted to get the nitto terra grapplers, but they are on national backorder with no end in site (next year maybe). So now i am thinking the toyo at3’s. On their website they state a 9” wheel is acceptable…which was a concern because the discount tire around us has dicked me in the past with the rim sizing issue.

Anyway, mainly looking to assure no major clearance issues (like a steering knuckle). I am okay with strapping back a fender liner if need be to prevent minor rub at full lock, just dont want to do any major hacking to make it drivable.

I have seen quite a few pics online with this size tire on stock wheels, so i think it is totally doable. Just wondering if all was okay without any major mods.

ljn21

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I do not want to use wheel spacers. Nothing really against them, as i have ran them before and not had issues (and have seen whistlindiesel stack several of them on top of each other with super offset wheels and jump the vehicle with no issues lol). But i just dont want to dick with wheel spacers.

I wanted to get the nitto terra grapplers, but they are on national backorder with no end in site (next year maybe). So now i am thinking the toyo at3’s. On their website they state a 9” wheel is acceptable…which was a concern because the discount tire around us has dicked me in the past with the rim sizing issue.

Anyway, mainly looking to assure no major clearance issues (like a steering knuckle). I am okay with strapping back a fender liner if need be to prevent minor rub at full lock, just dont want to do any major hacking to make it drivable.

I have seen quite a few pics online with this size tire on stock wheels, so i think it is totally doable. Just wondering if all was okay without any major mods.

Understood on the spacers, they can be a pain if you have to trim studs, etc.

Not trying to poke holes or be an Ahole but I see both the Toyo AT3 and the Nitto TG specing at 9.5” min rim width, just checking what I might be missing as I was looking for taller/wider as well.

FE6A9FB3-D730-4992-9473-F8FCB678D04F.png04AF1F38-E928-4DD4-8292-6E50FA03E199.png

ljn21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could try a 33x12.5 which is just a hair taller than the 305/45 and a bit wider, not sure if that would fit. It might open up some additional options as it’s a pretty common size. I use www.tiresize.com a lot, search by size and it shows you all tires from all manufacturers in that size, easy one stop place to check (I have no affiliation with that site, just sharing a tool).

OP
OP
olyelr

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Understood on the spacers, they can be a pain if you have to trim studs, etc.

Not trying to poke holes or be an Ahole but I see both the Toyo AT3 and the Nitto TG specing at 9.5” min rim width, just checking what I might be missing as I was looking for taller/wider as well.

View attachment 355667View attachment 355668

Well shoot. Guess i dont know why i thought it showed a minimum of 9”…it sure as heck is 9.5”…i must have been looking at a different size tire when i saw the 9” ugh. Well, i will see what discount says when they go to mount them up, because i just ordered them.

You could try a 33x12.5 which is just a hair taller than the 305/45 and a bit wider, not sure if that would fit. It might open up some additional options as it’s a pretty common size. I use www.tiresize.com a lot, search by size and it shows you all tires from all manufacturers in that size, easy one stop place to check (I have no affiliation with that site, just sharing a tool).

The 33x12.5 is SHORTER than the 305/45, and is actually shorter than the factory tire. And it is wider than the 305. Neither which i want.

OP
OP
olyelr

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, i ordered the 305/45/22 toyo at3’s. They are getting them from florida, so wont be till next week sometime. I will post up pics and fitment updates when she gets them on.

Thanks fellas.

OP
OP
olyelr

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I find it odd that the toyo 33/12.5/22 tire is spec’d at a 12.5” wide inflated width and specs a minimum rim width of 8.5”, yet the 305/45/22 is spec’d at 11.8” wide but a 9.5” minimum rim width. Wtf.

Im not worried as far as functionality and wear goes. I have run many tires on skinnier rims than spec’d and never had a single issue with wear. The problem will be if discount tire catches it and wont mount them…i will have to go down the road. Been there and done that i guess.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WhiteHorseBFD792

Latest posts