MASSIVE BACKFIRE result of injector cleaning?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, so I replaced my bad knock sensor, and while I was at it I decided to clean the fuel injectors. I may have opened a bag of worms. I followed this procedure:

Basically opened fuel injector w/ DC power supply and blew carb cleaner through them both ways.

I then cleaned the valley cover and cylinder heads really well. Lastly I wet shop rags with Berryman Fuel System cleaner and wiped down each intake port on the cylinder heads. Nothin too major.

The intake manifold had been VERY expensively cleaned. I dried it out very carefully making sure no water was in it anymore (or so I think).

I put the truck back together. Cranked it w/o fuel. Didn't seem to be any problem. So I put back in the relay for the fuel pump. I primed the system a handful of times by cycling the key but not spinning the starter. Then I went to start the truck..

Massive popping noise. It was bad so I shut it down immediately. I thought about what happened. I wondered if some solvent got into the cylinders. I took back out the fuel pump relay and went to start it up again. Wow, massive popping even worse this time. I don't think I heard anything like engine blowing up noise or metal on metal but it wasn't good. I immediately shut down the motor.

Overall I MAYBE ran the motor for 3 seconds under power where it was popping if even that. It scared the hell out of me.

I pulled all the spark plugs wondering if something got dropped in a cylinder (although I was VERY careful about that. I taped all the cylinders shut (see picture) while I was working.

When I pulled two of the driver side spark plugs it sounded like fluid came out of them. I wonder if I have a stuck open fuel injector that flooded the cylinder with excess fuel while I was priming the system?

I hope I didn't damage anything inside the motor. I turned the crank with a breaker bar several times in each direction. It seemed to stick at various points in the beginning but was inconsistent as to what point it hung up in the motor...

I kept turning it (probably dump thing to do) and it got better.... Maybe I had left a shop towel in one of the intake ports? I really don't think I did as I was SUPER careful about that too.

Bit rattled, any words are appreciated.

Note picture says coolent, but it was gas. Two of the spark plugs were wet. I checked the oil and doesn't seem to be any other fluids in it, at least on the dip stick.

I left my garage with all the doors open and a big fan running. It smells horribly of gas.

20201030_163851.jpg 20201030_191851.jpg 20201030_192958.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went back, haven't tried much more but scanned the computer for codes.

Had a P0107 and noticed the MAP sensor was unplugged. While I was at back of intake I noticed my brake booster was unplugged.

I wonder if this whole mess is a result of too little vacuum and MAP sensor being unplugged / confused as to how much fuel to dump in. I don't know if this will run off mass air flow sensor alone? I've ran these the mass air flow sensor unplugged but never with the MAP unplugged (and a massive vacuum leak).

PNWYukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DTC P0107

CIRCUIT DESCRIPTION
The manifold absolute pressure (MAP) sensor responds to pressure changes in the intake manifold. The pressure changes occur based on the engine load. The MAP sensor has the following circuits:
  • 5-volt reference circuit
  • Low reference circuit
  • MAP sensor signal circuit
The powertrain control module (PCM) supplies 5 volts to the MAP sensor on the 5-volt reference circuit. The PCM also provides a ground on the low reference circuit. The MAP sensor provides a signal to the PCM on the MAP sensor signal circuit which is relative to the pressure changes in the manifold. The PCM should detect a low signal voltage at a low MAP, such as during an idle or a deceleration. The PCM should detect a high signal voltage at a high MAP, such as the ignition is ON, with the engine OFF, or at a wide open throttle (WOT). The MAP sensor is also used in order to determine the barometric pressure (BARO). This occurs when the ignition switch is turned ON, with the engine OFF. The BARO reading may also be updated whenever the engine is operated at WOT. The PCM monitors the MAP sensor signal for voltage outside of the normal range.

If the PCM detects a MAP sensor signal voltage that is excessively low, DTC P0107 sets.

CONDITIONS FOR SETTING THE DTC
The PCM detects that the MAP sensor voltage is less than 0.055 volt for more than 4 seconds.

Yes, it looks like if your MAP was unplugged it would set this code.

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thx, yeah I plugged it back in :) but code is still there. not sure if it takes a little while to go away.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

PNWYukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CONDITIONS FOR CLEARING THE MIL/DTC
  • The control module turns OFF the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) after 3 consecutive ignition cycles that the diagnostic runs and does not fail.
  • A current DTC, Last Test Failed, clears when the diagnostic runs and passes.
  • A history DTC clears after 40 consecutive warm-up cycles, if no failures are reported by this or any other emission related diagnostic.
  • Clear the MIL and the DTC with a scan tool.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you are sure you didn't leave anything in there then it could just be the chemical cleaner burning off

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So was there anything wrong with the fuel injectors that made you decide to clean them that way or were you just doing maintenance? Sorry about the outcome either way.

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
It's official connecting rod on cylinder 8 is busted. I'm pretty sure it was the injector. Got stuck open and in the couple minutes I let the pump prime it flooded the cylinder. Here's a borescope video of me spinning the crank. You can see the valve move but the piston says in the same place.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FQ6d0fIJPBdM6j8IInIBfijfgS20g8Ag/view?usp=sharing
Holy shit. DAMN

You think this was around before or after the injector service?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
patrickleeleep