Map upgrade worth it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2591tdj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Other than for a vehicle with HUD I will no longer pay for the updates. I’ve bought them for both my and my wife’s vehicles in the past. I prefer Google or even Apple Maps via CarPlay or even a stand-alone GPS over the built-in NAV systems. I’ve done turn-by-turn comparisons and found the stand-alone Garmins more accurate and informative than the built in GM NAV. Plus, I like being using the Google map satellite display via CarPlay.

ZKWBQD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I received an offer from GM today to update the NAV maps on my ‘21 at a discounted price from $149 to $99.

Anybody know what the differences are in maps from 2021 to now? Or how do I find that info? Search didn’t pull anything helpful.
I find Apple Maps to be the best. Completely free. Just tap on an address in your iPhone, and off you go. It does a good job avoiding traffic also.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Other than for a vehicle with HUD I will no longer pay for the updates. I’ve bought them for both my and my wife’s vehicles in the past. I prefer Google or even Apple Maps via CarPlay or even a stand-alone GPS over the built-in NAV systems. I’ve done turn-by-turn comparisons and found the stand-alone Garmins more accurate and informative than the built in GM NAV. Plus, I like being using the Google map satellite display via CarPlay.
2022 and Newer run Google Maps native...which is awesome! People complain about having to pay data...but reality is a years worth of data is about equal in cost to a map update, and you get more than maps w/ it...

Shrubs2K2

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I will never upgrade the maps on my '21. If I can't use Waze/Google Maps. I have Sygic (https://www.sygic.com/) installed on my phone and tablet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlbertoTahoe2011