Manual vs dealership maintenance schedule

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2006Tahoe2WD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They pulled the shafts and inspected the wear on the axles. I'm using Kendall Super Three Star 75W-90. I don't have the energy to check the lash right now. The noise is not getting worse.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
They determined that the bearings were not wearing so welll because of axle inspection? What about the axles? If bearings are wearing badly, that effects the axles. What brand of bearings and seals were installed before?

2006Tahoe2WD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The axle is the inner race of the bearing. They were starting to wear and he showed me how the wear starts. I assume I'm still on the original bearings and seals.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
So he replaced the carrier bearing...did he replace the pinion bearing or even recommend it? Did he replace the axle bearings or even recommend them? Am I missing something in the explanation. By the way, I know the axle is the inner bearing but if he said there was wear on the axle bearings and did not recommend them at the same time as the carrier, well, an expert, IMO, he is not. He may be real good at what he does but if he recommended those axle and pinion bearings and you did not do them, that is on you but if he did not even recommend those bearings, then, IMO, it is on him. Or I am just confused. With all those bearings working together and working with those tolerances, The carrier and pinion bearings should have been done at the same time, even if the axle bearings were not but if axle bearings are showing a concerned wear pattern, then that effects the axles.

2006Tahoe2WD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't remember what was said. I think I needed the truck and they didn't have the axles/tone rings/bearings/seals/etc. in stock. We concluded it should run fine for awhile as it was and that turned out to be correct. Yes - I still don't like that it isn't in 100% condition.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
btheboyscout

Latest posts