Mandatory Onstar?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dayzoo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Bigger question to me is what will this do to the resale / 2nd+ owner user who doesn't want to buy into all of that?
They can still have CarPlay, it's just not wireless...

I think this subscription 'thing' is the new future - look at computer software as well - no more purchasing the program - it's all monthly subscriptions now. Certainly not how I'd like things to go, but..... :yucky:

EvergreenZ71

Reaction score
They can still have CarPlay, it's just not wireless...

I think this subscription 'thing' is the new future - look at computer software as well - no more purchasing the program - it's all monthly subscriptions now. Certainly not how I'd like things to go, but..... :yucky:
I have a feeling I’ll be taking care of my 2009 & 2010 for a long time …

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did GMC remove the OnStar requirement? When I build and price a Yukon I don’t see the “option” anywhere in the list. It’s also not shown on the summary page at the end of the build? Maybe I’m just not seeing it, but it looks like the requirement has been dropped.

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did GMC remove the OnStar requirement? When I build and price a Yukon I don’t see the “option” anywhere in the list. It’s also not shown on the summary page at the end of the build? Maybe I’m just not seeing it, but it looks like the requirement has been dropped.
Maybe it isn't listed as an "option" like tires or a windshield..... ( maybe thrown in as a base factory install ?) I would contact your dealer rep.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seems it’s now listed as standard equipment. GM
Must have wised up and just bumped the base price abs “included” it vs. itemizing as mandatory option.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you haven't seen my post in the lounge section, just want to let everybody know that during Hurricane Ian in Fort Myers OnStar was absolutely the only thing functioning as far as Communications goes... there was Zero cell, Zero Internet, zero Towers, nothing... no contact at all. Radio Silence. OnStar was able to answer and Patch calls through to people that needed desperate information. I take back any negative comments I said about them in previous posts. They also were able to send directions to my vehicle as we evacuated to Miami as common routes were not available.
I for one, don't care about a measily $25 a month. That service will stay on for me.

zbad55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They didn't drop it, it will appear on the window sticker and is still required.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ordered a 22 and tried what I did with my 2007, and 2016, OnStar delete, so neither has it even installed. I wasn't happy I could no longer delete it, I am not a fan of it. The technology gets dated and there are no upgrades. Now that my 22 is a 23, I have to pay for 3 years of it, which I don't want or need.
Agreed. It's just an added profit margin item that allows too much snooping and the ability to remotely control your vehicle.

Had it on 8 vehicles since 2001 and never used it once. It's a waste

MSU BullDAWGz

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Back in the 60's they added seatbelts. Did YOU ask for them? That added cost to the vehicles. So did safety glass in all the windows. What about radial tires? They were optional but then became mandatory. Did YOU ask for that? I mean come on, they could put a solid front axle back on all 4x4s as that would be cheaper. Just the ride and handling wouldn't be as good. But did YOU ask to pay more for independent front suspension? Cars and truck manufacturers have been doing things like this since Henry Ford said "They can buy a model T in ANY color they want as long as it's BLACK".
And please don't say I'm for OnStar. I'm actually one of those that hates the idea that some cop (not a good one but one with an agenda) or a nerd living in a basement can find and shut off my truck with me in it. Lock the doors etc. So me personally I'd like it removed, but I'm also against seatbelts in some cases (highways-yes, slow off-road no). But I don't see either of them being removed anytime soon.
Would it have been better to just hide it in the cost as a regular feature? Sure, and most wouldn't bat an eye. But instead they didn't and now YOU think you should be able to say what they do. But as I've shown, they do what makes them $$$, what the government demands, and what the majority of customers want. Not what a small minority demand.
That's not to say that if enough people complain it can't change. But hell more should complain about our corrupt government and demand change as that's costing lives and way more than $1600 for 3 years of OnStar.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cbrpilot2