Mandatory Onstar?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

selectsplat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would be good to hear from a 2022 driver who let their data plan expire...
22 High Country.

My data plan lapsed, wireless CarPlay continued to work. What I lost was some features in the built navigation (not carplay) such as speed limit, traffic and hazards, and the speed limit sign on the hud. Also lost google voice assistant and some other features of the infotainment system (apps)

OP
OP
P

Polo08816

Full Access Member
Reaction score
22 High Country.

My data plan lapsed, wireless CarPlay continued to work. What I lost was some features in the built navigation (not carplay) such as speed limit, traffic and hazards, and the speed limit sign on the hud. Also lost google voice assistant and some other features of the infotainment system (apps)
But it would make too much sense for the entire system to just tether off of your cell phone data plan....

Baja_Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In 5-6 years there will be Yukons on used lots for sale with operating systems incompatible with the newest updates at the time. Half of the options won't work, I can see it now.

Seamus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I sometimes have a hard time understanding all this disdain for OnStar and what it can do for our personal safety. Of course I get it that people don't want to pay for these services for a number of their own personal reasons, so I get that part. At the age of 73, I embrace improving technology and am willing to pay for all those safety features offered for what I personally need and is actually why I upgraded to my 2021 Tahoe Z71 to get them. For me, I guess it's my aviation background as a former pilot and Air Traffic Controller that witnessed many, many improvements over the years from "beacon slashes" to full blown data blocks on our radar screens and from manual to automated hand-offs to other ATC sectors, not to mention all the warning systems (e.g., terrain warning systems, etc.) that evolved. I pay $57.98 a month for OnStar for my 2014 Corvette and 2021 Tahoe. Now that doesn't include a data plan, but I do get all the safety features. I agree that it would be nice to have a 3 year plan come standard to give people a longer chance to make up their mind to continue or not, or reduce to a plan suitable for their needs. My Nav is either Apple or Google Maps, which works fine for me as neither vehicles has a HUD.

Sorry for the rant, but thought I'd offer an "old guy" perspective. Thanks.
Well let me explain why some have an issue with Onstar. Just like our Apple iphones we agree to give up our privacy to get the shiny thing. Onstar is not just a service to you and a convienience or a saftey feature. It also tracks and stores all your information. Law enforcement, private investigators, and insurance investigators go after this info all the time. So maybe you like getting that notification to change your oil, and would you like to make an appointment at your dealer?? When you go on you GMC profile, notice its communicating with your truck, mileage, etc. Think maybe they make money selling your information?? Is it secure.? Some are very trusting of Onstar. Cant imagine why someone would trust a company that needs to make money. In other words they are making you the product. And you agree to it. Onstar is a great easy tool for Law enforcement. The argument of I am not doing anything wrong doesnt work. Its YOUR privacy and info. Its not protected and can be used against you. Yes insurance investigators hook right up to the truck after an accident and download all your info from the blackbox, Onstart is just extra. I have seen Onstar abused many times. Its a choice to get the shiny thing...many dont think about their privacy and info and being the product.

972sparky

Reaction score
In the middle of West Virginia mountains...maybe Banjo Mtn, I broke down. Hit OnStar and got a reply. Something like "Out of service area" or "No connection" or something like that. OnStar is a TOTAL WASTE !!!
There is some places in the WV mountains that you are not even supposed to use a cell phone let alone have service or any other RF device. There are radio telescopes there that they don't want the interference to affect them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu