Making me nuts!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cptahab676

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2019 Tahoe Z71...25k on odometer. When driving approximately 30-40 mph or less over choppy pavement, manhole covers, etc. getting a deep “rattling “ almost a choppy noise from the driver’s side suspension footwell area. Funny thing is when window is down, can’t hear. Of course, dealer can’t duplicate! ANY ideas welcome. Thanks friends!

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2019 Tahoe Z71...25k on odometer. When driving approximately 30-40 mph or less over choppy pavement, manhole covers, etc. getting a deep “rattling “ almost a choppy noise from the driver’s side suspension footwell area. Funny thing is when window is down, can’t hear. Of course, dealer can’t duplicate! ANY ideas welcome. Thanks friends!

See if your swaybar end links are still intact. Check that side's heat shield on the exhaust manifold... what else... I would crawl underneath and start pushing and pulling, looking for anything loose or out of place, missing parts, etc.

OP
OP
Cptahab676

Cptahab676

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
See if your swaybar end links are still intact. Check that side's heat shield on the exhaust manifold... what else... I would crawl underneath and start pushing and pulling, looking for anything loose or out of place, missing parts, etc.

thx!

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you drive the tech or service manager around? If not it works well bc you know exactly what makes it happen.

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make sure no tools were left under the hood (or underneath) from recent work. Certainly a long shot, but it happens.

A friend of mine listened to a clunk for YEARS with his wifes subaru... the dealer finally found out what it was, and damn angle grinder!!

82C30F02-C22E-4367-AB25-3AFDF2AA3F7B.jpeg

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Make sure no tools were left under the hood (or underneath) from recent work. Certainly a long shot, but it happens.

A friend of mine listened to a clunk for YEARS with his wifes subaru... the dealer finally found out what it was, and damn angle grinder!!

View attachment 244623
Where was that hidden?

Reminds me of the time at my first engineering job where we built dump truck boxes. A welder was going out of his mind one day looking for his 6 ft level. Never found it and got a new one. Fast forward 3 months and we got a truck brought in for warranty due to an unidentified rattle coming from the rear corner of the box. The service guy had heard about the missing level and noticed the box would have gone through the shop about the same time the level went missing so he got to thinking. Sure enough, they cut the rear bolster off and found a 6 ft level shoved into the top side brace. He must have set it there quick at the end of the shift and then when the 2nd shift guy came in, he didn't see it and tacked the rear bolster up and there goes the level.

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Maybe the clunk is a strut bearing? Or the steering shaft? Anyone remember the floor issue back in 99 or so? That one was where the floor sheet metal would flex and make a clunking noise we called the "oil can" noise.

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where was that hidden?

Reminds me of the time at my first engineering job where we built dump truck boxes. A welder was going out of his mind one day looking for his 6 ft level. Never found it and got a new one. Fast forward 3 months and we got a truck brought in for warranty due to an unidentified rattle coming from the rear corner of the box. The service guy had heard about the missing level and noticed the box would have gone through the shop about the same time the level went missing so he got to thinking. Sure enough, they cut the rear bolster off and found a 6 ft level shoved into the top side brace. He must have set it there quick at the end of the shift and then when the 2nd shift guy came in, he didn't see it and tacked the rear bolster up and there goes the level.

I guess tucked between the motor and some heat shield. They listened to that rattle around for years lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pikelk98