Major Coolant leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DLN22

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello,
I have a 03 Yukon Denali. I know I have a water pump going bad but I was trying to get home (3.5 hour ) and filled it with water. I didn’t over heat but after the snow I started the engine and now have coolant/water pouring down each side of the bell house.
I put a bottle of Blue Devil in it, started it and it ran hot before the 50 minutes it says to let idle. So I shut it off.
So here are my questions.
Is it a freeze plug ?
If so, is it worth fixing ( 256000 miles)
What would be a fair price for repair ?
Any input will be welcomed.
I love the vehicle and could kick myself for messing it up.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I have a 03 Yukon Denali. I know I have a water pump going bad but I was trying to get home (3.5 hour ) and filled it with water. I didn’t over heat but after the snow I started the engine and now have coolant/water pouring down each side of the bell house.
I put a bottle of Blue Devil in it, started it and it ran hot before the 50 minutes it says to let idle. So I shut it off.
So here are my questions.
Is it a freeze plug ?
If so, is it worth fixing ( 256000 miles)
What would be a fair price for repair ?
Any input will be welcomed.
I love the vehicle and could kick myself for messing it up.
How cold did it get? Not good if you were running straight water and it got below freezing.

I believe there are two freeze plugs on the back of the heads on both sides, among other locations, but I could very well be wrong on exact location. I’d get an inspection mirror and see if you can look on the back side of the heads and see where water is coming from. Heard it’s a royal PITA to replace them.

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
Ruh roh

Sooooo

Like Burken said: how cold did it get?

Water in your cooling system is like... Last ditch effort

Stop chucking leak sealers in there and look for the cause

And nomenclature wise: Those are core plugs. I hate the term freeze plug. I have no idea where that started. They do NOTHING to help you if your fluid freezes. They exist because of a sand casting manufacturing process. So, don't count on that.

Crawl under / use a mirror to see if you can find where the coolant is coming from. IIRC, only accessible passages in that area are the heater core connectors, and the steam pipes. If you're lucky - a steam pipe shat out. If not... well... Good luck car shopping in this market :(

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it popped a plug there are rubber with expanding metal center plugs that will get you through until you can have new plugs installed which may require an engine pull depending on which ones popped.
Dont ever put just water in your engine if there is a chance for the temp to get to freezing or below. Only in extreme emergency and only if you are prepared to drain the water and add proper antifreeze mixture.
If you are luck just a plug is popped. If you arent then you have cracked a coolant jacket in your engine block and the engine is now a parts donor.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And nomenclature wise: Those are core plugs. I hate the term freeze plug. I have no idea where that started. They do NOTHING to help you if your fluid freezes. They exist because of a sand casting manufacturing process. So, don't count on that.
I was taught that when it freezes, the expanding water/coolant would pop the plugs out so as not to crack the block and heads. This would refer to the press fit ones, not threaded.

The older I get, the more I learn that what I knew wasn't so!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu