Maintenance: Transmission Flush

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
I'm unscrewing the trans oil cooler fitting, as shown below. You're saying that if i remove the e-clip and pull the line out, i'll get a different fluid? How so? unscrewing vs unclipping the line should yield the same results.

31118555968_2fb6a6ab62.jpg

I agree that your suggestion is easier. I don't understand how unclipping it will change the result of my getting this damn antifreeze. Thanks again for helping! You're probably thinking, "this dudes an idiot!" :slap:

It will most definitely yield different results. Don't unscrew that bulkhead. That's what's sealing the coolant in the radiator. If you had xray vision you'd see what's going on opposite the fitting. Picture the line going straight through and continuing on the other side into a sea of coolant. You need to disconnect the line, not open the dam to the sea.

Reaction score
Refer to my post above. There is a trans cooler tank inside the end tank of the radiator which has antifreeze surrounding it. Here is a quick exploded diagram, you can see the trans cooler on the right side.

14541.gif

2001 Yukon SLT
2012 Yukon XL Denali
2011 Yukon Denali RIP 5/20/18

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm unscrewing the trans oil cooler fitting, as shown below. You're saying that if i remove the e-clip and pull the line out, i'll get a different fluid? How so? unscrewing vs unclipping the line should yield the same results.

31118555968_2fb6a6ab62.jpg

I agree that your suggestion is easier. I don't understand how unclipping it will change the result of my getting this damn antifreeze. Thanks again for helping! You're probably thinking, "this dudes an idiot!" :slap:

Brandon, that fitting secures the internal transmission oil cooler inside the radiator's tank. It also allows the transmission fluid to pass through it and secures the line/hose. If you disconnected the fitting in the photo, especially both, the internal trans cooler would fall away inside the tank and leak trans fluid into your coolant. Hopefully, neither is contaminated now by your learning curve. We all do it, few admit it!

thompsoj22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
california native "REPUBLICAN" high desert
Yikes! Do exactly as instructed in the previous post's. This is simple, im not hacking but you "did not" follow the directions in the youtube video, it explains the line removal perfectly. Regroup, you can do this and have the same results or better than the dealer at half the cost.

OP
OP
S

Shimmy23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks all for the advice and tips! Simple enough once i learned how to read.:anitoof:

Now for some bad news... the truck is slipping in 3rd. fluid level checked out fine, but not sure where to go from here. I took it in to the shop and it sounds like a rebuild/replacement is in order. Does anyone have experience with Street Smart Transmission? Looks like they come with the same warranty as a GM direct transmission.

Are there other things i should troubleshoot before committing to a replacement?

Last edited:

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Thanks all for the advice and tips! Simple enough once i learned how to read.:anitoof:

Now for some bad news... the truck is slipping in 3rd. fluid level checked out fine, but not sure where to go from here. I took it in to the shop and it sounds like a rebuild/replacement is in order. Does anyone have experience with Street Smart Transmission? Looks like they come with the same warranty as a GM direct transmission.

Are there other things i should troubleshoot before committing to a replacement?

Did the slipping start after your fluid change or was it part of the reason for the change?

OP
OP
S

Shimmy23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did the slipping start after your fluid change or was it part of the reason for the change?

started after the change. my wife took the yuk to work, no problems. later that evening driving the kid to dance class and it started slipping on the way home.

local quoted my $4100 OTD for a GM replacement

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
started after the change. my wife took the yuk to work, no problems. later that evening driving the kid to dance class and it started slipping on the way home.

Not sure if your talking 4l60 or 6l80, but my brother had an LKQ completely remanufactured 6l80 installed in his Silverado Z71 4x4 for about $3500... they had the best warranty around.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score

Which trans do you have? What fluid did you use? Price is high.

OP
OP
S

Shimmy23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Which trans do you have? What fluid did you use? Price is high.

4L60e with AC delco dexron 6.

Labor rates in WA are 115-130 an hr. Tax another 10% so I thought $4100 was reasonable on a unit direct from GM.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9