Magnetic ride shock replacements

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigPete

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just wanted to come back and let you guys know what I figured out... It looks like the spring on these assemblies were made to the wrong rate (I assume), because they physically looked identical to the ones that were taken out, and the new replacements I bought. The Luft-Meister replcements I got last week worked great and brought the front end back up to stock height (3"+ higher than the "bad" replacements I had).

I'd say its a crap-shoot as to if you get the bad batch of springs when buying replacements...

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to come back and let you guys know what I figured out... It looks like the spring on these assemblies were made to the wrong rate (I assume), because they physically looked identical to the ones that were taken out, and the new replacements I bought. The Luft-Meister replcements I got last week worked great and brought the front end back up to stock height (3"+ higher than the "bad" replacements I had).

I'd say its a crap-shoot as to if you get the bad batch of springs when buying replacements...
Were the replacements free of charge?

BigPete

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Were the replacements free of charge?
I was able to do a return on the originals, and bought a different brand for the same price - so all I was really out was my labor to do the swap

BrandonM7

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I feel like maybe there are two different height springs spec for this vehicle -- maybe stock 22" wheel mag ride 2wd trucks have a shorter spring than others? Maybe not -- just seems like as I search through tons of these threads I see a small number of people say the Monroe struts are crazy high compared to their vehicle stock, whereas most people say they are perfect. Then I find a few occasions of people saying a couple of other products are crazy low. Maybe I'm just the one that's crazy, but these Monroe springs are notably higher than my stock ones -- I wish I had gotten the ones BigPete originally got.

Whatever the case is, here's my story -- late-2015 Denali 2wd, factory 22", mag ride stuff replaced under warranty at 62k miles. I also lowered the rear using McGaughy's 30014 because I didn't like the huge rake.

Stock, about 2k miles after full OEM MRC replacement front and rear:
20190213_122719.jpg

Lowered with the McGaughy's 30014 -- It was perfect to my eyes like this:
ghetto_sled_clean.jpg

Now at 123k it was riding like crap. I did the recommended Monroe quick struts on the front, 139104 plus the AC Delco 540-1675, using the OBD-SS to make the computer stay happy. Rode great, but, uhhh - that nose was WAY up there.

sc_squat_1.jpeg

So I drove it around for a week or so to let the new front springs get settled and broken in, also goofed around with rod lengths on the back to see if I could get the air to help bring the back up a bit to match. It got better, but still looked like shit.

nose_high_2.png

So, reluctantly I put the stock rear springs back in. Basically I ended up back level, but by raising the front with these Monroes that were supposed to be stock height. They are easily 2" taller than what came out now that they've settled. I really didn't want a lift, but it is what it is I guess. At least it rides great now. I wish it sat lower, but not so much that I'm going to do spindles or anything.

back_up_high.jpg

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I feel like maybe there are two different height springs spec for this vehicle -- maybe stock 22" wheel mag ride 2wd trucks have a shorter spring than others? Maybe not -- just seems like as I search through tons of these threads I see a small number of people say the Monroe struts are crazy high compared to their vehicle stock, whereas most people say they are perfect. Then I find a few occasions of people saying a couple of other products are crazy low. Maybe I'm just the one that's crazy, but these Monroe springs are notably higher than my stock ones -- I wish I had gotten the ones BigPete originally got.

Whatever the case is, here's my story -- late-2015 Denali 2wd, factory 22", mag ride stuff replaced under warranty at 62k miles. I also lowered the rear using McGaughy's 30014 because I didn't like the huge rake.

Stock, about 2k miles after full OEM MRC replacement front and rear:
View attachment 361976

Lowered with the McGaughy's 30014 -- It was perfect to my eyes like this:
View attachment 361977

Now at 123k it was riding like crap. I did the recommended Monroe quick struts on the front, 139104 plus the AC Delco 540-1675, using the OBD-SS to make the computer stay happy. Rode great, but, uhhh - that nose was WAY up there.

View attachment 361979

So I drove it around for a week or so to let the new front springs get settled and broken in, also goofed around with rod lengths on the back to see if I could get the air to help bring the back up a bit to match. It got better, but still looked like shit.

View attachment 361981

So, reluctantly I put the stock rear springs back in. Basically I ended up back level, but by raising the front with these Monroes that were supposed to be stock height. They are easily 2" taller than what came out now that they've settled. I really didn't want a lift, but it is what it is I guess. At least it rides great now. I wish it sat lower, but not so much that I'm going to do spindles or anything.

View attachment 361982
Looks great both ways imo, once leveled! I fought my wife for a little bit to get the lowered stance, but she eventually one (and it was her rig) so i raised the front instead of lower the back. I prefer the slightly lower stance, however. Your rig looks great!

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score

@BigPete I see you haven't been here in a couple of months, but maybe you'll get a notification.

That first set of struts lowered your Tahoe, but how did they ride? Were they softer since they were obviously a lower spring rate?

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@BigPete I see you haven't been here in a couple of months, but maybe you'll get a notification.

That first set of struts lowered your Tahoe, but how did they ride? Were they softer since they were obviously a lower spring rate?
They may not have necessarily been a lower spring rate. They could have been a tad shorter.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They may not have necessarily been a lower spring rate. They could have been a tad shorter.

Shorter enough to be a ~3" drop would be easily visible, and he said it looked identical to the old ones and the replacements:

I'm hoping he sees replies and/or tags and stops back in. I'm kinda interested in them "saggy" springs. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juju14