Magnetic Ride Control vs Air Ride Suspension

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GoNoGo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone test drove vehicles with MRC and MRC with air ride to see if they are different?

I have both a 2021 mag-ride equipped Silverado crew cab 5100-lbs 157" wheelbase with 20" tires, and a 2023 Suburban with both mag + Air ride, 6016-lbs 134" wheelbase with 22" tires. Both have the same 6.2L L87 motor.

Surburban is 2-ft shorter, 900-lbs heavier and has thinner-sidewall, stiffer/sportier tires, so not perfect vehicles for comparing suspensions.. but

Silverado feels more nimble and quick, rides comfortably, Suburban is a tad boat-like in the steering and a smidgeon sluggish on acceleration but maybe it's L87 need's broken in. Suburban is slightly more softer ride on asphalt roads (than Silverado) and may sound crazy, but the Burb's feels big, can't tell its 2 feet shorter.

Last edited:

GoNoGo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, almost forgot that with Air Ride, the GM SUV's have the option to lower 2 inches at shut-down for easier occupant(s) ingress-egress.

Last edited:

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have both a 2021 mag-ride equipped Silverado crew cab 5100-lbs 157" wheelbase with 20" tires, and a 2023 Suburban with both mag + Air ride, 6016-lbs 134" wheelbase with 22" tires. Both have the same 6.2L L87 motor.

Surburban is 2-ft shorter, 900-lbs heavier and has thinner-sidewall, stiffer/sportier tires, so not perfect vehicles for comparing suspensions.. but

Silverado feels more nimble and quick, rides comfortably, Suburban is a tad boat-like in the steering and a smidgeon sluggish on acceleration but maybe it's L87 need's broken in. Suburban is slightly more softer ride on asphalt roads (than Silverado) and may sound crazy, but the Burb's feels big, can't tell its 2 feet shorter.
I drove a NON air ride Suburban before buying my Air Ride Yukon XL. Both ride very similarly...I primarily wanted Air Ride for towing, to keep things level. It is worth it for just that if you tow often. As for ride management, unclear it really makes much noticeable difference in feel, it probably does help handling when you have the rig loaded down.

GoNoGo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I live at the end of a 3.5 mile long stony-dirt and washboard-gravel road so it's on these type bumpy and other rural county roads that Adaptive Ride Suspension, Magnetic Ride Control and Air Ride Adaptive Suspension seem to shine. My body can really feel the difference between the 2 vehicles equipped with, than my similar-size/weight Silverado's without :thumbsup:

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I live at the end of a 3.5 mile long stony-dirt and washboard-gravel road so it's on these type bumpy and other rural county roads that Adaptive Ride Suspension, Magnetic Ride Control and Air Ride Adaptive Suspension seem to shine. My body can really feel the difference between the 2 vehicles equipped with, than my similar-size/weight Silverado's without :thumbsup:
Could it be the independent rear suspension vs the solid rear axle/leaf springs of the Silverado?

GoNoGo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could it be the independent rear suspension vs the solid rear axle/leaf springs of the Silverado?
Naturally the suspension variety is an element,, my '06 3500 Silverado 8' bed quad cab and 2021 Silverado HC quad cab w/6.4' mid-size bed 1500 with magnet ride are night and day ride differ3nce, so maybe not a notable comparison.

BUT.. there's a notable difference between the shorter/lighter 2023 Tahoe HC with mag and Air ride and the heavier/longer 2023 Suburban HC with mag and Air Ride, so much so that I got rid of the 23 Tahoe and bought another new Suburban HC with mag and Air ride (this time with a Duramax 3.0).

I did lower the air pressure in my 22 inch tires;/wheels down to 31 psi cold to soften their ride.. I may consider to install 18" rims on the Suburban's when their tires become significantly worn.. time will tell

Last edited:

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is one drawback in my mind with the Air Suspension…….Pertty much all current technology Air suspension vehicles, all manufacturer.

The system will hunt during parking, low speeds, etc……..This “hunting” obviously cycles the compressor. Obvious effect is early compressor failure compared to the MRC or even normal NON MRC suspensions.

Example…..Drive Thru……I am old school and was taught that if the vehicle is NOT in motion, then Place Transmission in Park….simple as that. I usually use the one minute rule but can be adjusted as conditions permit. The Compressor will cycle to Entry/Exit mode…..transmission thinks in park then we are getting out. Drops to full down. Twenty seconds or whatever it is, back to drive and raises. Repeat process at next sopping point.
Correct my if I’m wrong but I thought that with the air ride suspension option there’s an settings option to keep it at normal ride all the time or have it only drop to lowest setting when the vehicle is shut off?

Vint91

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Do you have Settings that change your ride position to be more comfortable when driving so that you don’t have to air your 22 inch tires down to 31 psi? That seems pretty low?

MoonTruck

Reaction score
Correct my if I’m wrong but I thought that with the air ride suspension option there’s an settings option to keep it at normal ride all the time or have it only drop to lowest setting when the vehicle is shut off?
Correct, you can enable / disable the egress height. I have mine off, I still do hear the bags hissing when I turn off the car.

Nokturnal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With the edgymods adj end links the vehicle can be locked into one position for all time. Parked, driving, neutral, always one setting and no adjustment. Will this help with compression life maybe? Just bought a 21 z71 so curious to see how it goes with the edgymods

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbhidalgo17