MagneRide installation - yes another thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bi0hazard

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm about to order both front magneride shocks for my '16 Tahoe. Shocks are on backorder. Apparently they're seized, though I can't tell. I found a decent price on a GM parts website, $370 each.

MY questions: Do I need additional parts other than (2) GM 84977478 units, and can any shop install it or does it have to be a chevy dealer due to the ride sensors? Additionally, what's a reasonable shop fee for swapping both front shocks?

All of above is to alleviate the $2100 dealer quote.

Thanks!

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are no special tools needed, the sensor rods are simply remove and reinstall. However, before removing I would measure the length of them before popping them out, that way when you reinstall them you know what length they should be when put back in correctly/all the way.

Usually you do need some spring compressors to swap the fronts and they’re pretty large springs so heavy-duty spring compressors are needed.

I would try a local tire discounters or similar shop because it’s likely you’ll an alignment after the work. Ask them if you supply the parts how much to swap the front struts.

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since the Struts on these trucks are only attached to the A-Arms, and are separate from the alignment components, a alignment is not required... But its always recommended.

Just watched a video on this last night, and I dont even own one!

OP
OP
B

bi0hazard

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
While I'm waiting for GM parts store to get their recommended part GM#84977478 in stock, I ran across older posts recommending GM#84176631 (which I can find on ebay, supposedly older unit that fits my '16 Tahoe). On top of that, my actual shock has #23312155 on it, to further confuse the issue. Can someone clarify how to to find the right part number, since there appear to be multiple?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
22loweryak

Latest posts