Mag/air ride delete

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Studognight

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Haven’t stated yet but wanted to jump on here. I going to install Bilstein 6112 fronts and 5100 rears. Fronts come with spring and lower mount. Ordered from shock surplus. Also ordered resistor kit from shock delete.
Wondering if anyone has done this setup and wondering if stock rear springs are okay?

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

Can you please provide us with the year and model of the truck, as it will be helpful to folks here wishing to provide you with suggestions and recommendations?

Stock rear springs for the Z95 suspension are softer than non-Z95 stock rear springs on purpose to provide a smooth ride, and the air assist feature of the Z95 suspension will provide additional support, as needed, and controlled by the Electronic Suspension Control Module. Folks who have made this Z95 delete mod have either purchased and installed the non-Z95 coils for the same year and model truck, or they have used coil over shocks to provide the extra spring-related strength. Some folks have also simply kept the stock Z95 rear springs.

Other members on this Forum who have made this mod will chime in.

Oh Kee Pah

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haven’t stated yet but wanted to jump on here. I going to install Bilstein 6112 fronts and 5100 rears. Fronts come with spring and lower mount. Ordered from shock surplus. Also ordered resistor kit from shock delete.
Wondering if anyone has done this setup and wondering if stock rear springs are okay?
We need to know some more details, please...
Year, Make & Model of vehicle?
What is the product name and model of the resistor kit you've purchased?
Already bought the Bilstein's (Front & Rear)?

OP
OP
S

Studognight

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2015 Yukon Denali. Already purchased shocks. Just got my resistor setup from SDE (shock delete engineering)

Oh Kee Pah

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you for providing vehicle info.
The SDE product looks very similar to the initial ShockSims resistors from Xineering that I had installed on my 2015 LTZ. I now have Xineering's OBD/SS unit (plugs right in to the OBDII port beneath the steering column - doesn't use resistors at all 4 corners).

For the rear, your B8 5100s will be fine, and also allow you to install up to 1" coil spacer for increased ride height out back. Might be necessary if you want to maintain some of the factory front rake.

I do NOT believe that the B8 6112's will fit up front on your Denali; due to the fact that you will still need to utilize the OE shock top mount plate.
From my research, and discussions with Xineering's product engineers, the B8 6112 strut core, along with most other non-magnetic ride strut cores, are a larger diameter than the magnetic ride strut cores.
In other words, the top of the strut will NOT fit through the top mount plate to bolt.

This image is from Xineering's product engineer a few years ago that they sent me regarding this strut core mounting dilemna:

Bilstein B8 6112 Leveling Kit Image - PROBLEM FOR MAGNERIDE FRONT SHOCKS.png

A new, full front coil assembly would be the easiest route to go regarding installation and compatibility.
Once you've deleted the magneride, you can basically install any COMPLETE front coil assembly you may choose.
Examples include: Monroe QuikStruts, Fox/King/Icon coil-over assemblies. I think Rough Country may have an offering.

ie: Fox 2.0 Performance Coil-Over Adj (0-2"+) OE Magneride (z95) Front Coil Assembly
OG Fox Shock.JPG vs. 2014-2017-OEM-MagneRide-Front-Strut-Chevy-Silverado-Tahoe.jpg

Please don't take my comments as fact; I could be wrong about B8 6112 not being able to fit.
I would suggest doing a bit more research regarding the Bilstein B8 6112's compatibility with your front suspension plans.

Pivot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome. I purchased this exact shock combo from the same place. LOVE the ride. I had the assembled fronts set at the lowest setting, which is more or less OEM height, and I did have to add a 1" spacer on the rear springs because the 5100s made it level, and I prefer the OEM rake. But that was a quick fix, and I love the setup.

OP
OP
S

Studognight

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you for providing vehicle info.
The SDE product looks very similar to the initial ShockSims resistors from Xineering that I had installed on my 2015 LTZ. I now have Xineering's OBD/SS unit (plugs right in to the OBDII port beneath the steering column - doesn't use resistors at all 4 corners).

For the rear, your B8 5100s will be fine, and also allow you to install up to 1" coil spacer for increased ride height out back. Might be necessary if you want to maintain some of the factory front rake.

I do NOT believe that the B8 6112's will fit up front on your Denali; due to the fact that you will still need to utilize the OE shock top mount plate.
From my research, and discussions with Xineering's product engineers, the B8 6112 strut core, along with most other non-magnetic ride strut cores, are a larger diameter than the magnetic ride strut cores.
In other words, the top of the strut will NOT fit through the top mount plate to bolt.

This image is from Xineering's product engineer a few years ago that they sent me regarding this strut core mounting dilemna:

View attachment 354660

A new, full front coil assembly would be the easiest route to go regarding installation and compatibility.
Once you've deleted the magneride, you can basically install any COMPLETE front coil assembly you may choose.
Examples include: Monroe QuikStruts, Fox/King/Icon coil-over assemblies. I think Rough Country may have an offering.

ie: Fox 2.0 Performance Coil-Over Adj (0-2"+) OE Magneride (z95) Front Coil Assembly
View attachment 354661 vs. View attachment 354662

Please don't take my comments as fact; I could be wrong about B8 6112 not being able to fit.
I would suggest doing a bit more research regarding the Bilstein B8 6112's compatibility with your front suspension plans.
You were spot on. I did get the fronts mounted. But I was able to make it work. I do have access to a full machine shop and tools. But the average diy guy at home won’t be able to make it work. I went on position 2 on the strut. I like the ride height. Not as much rake. Still have the backs to do yet. Just got the standard rear springs yesterday. And the SDE product so far so good. No alarms on the dash.

Oh Kee Pah

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So glad you got the fronts to work and installed!!!

Did you have to make the top mount hole larger in diameter?
If so, I figure some handy drill work would probably have done the trick - but it sounds like perhaps a little more elbow grease is required.

The website MagDelete.com that @Trides provided is quite interesting. The product on their website is a fully assembled front coil-over using the Bilstein 6112 components.
After seeing their website images and comparing to my image of the OE magneride front assembly, I'm thinking they did something that I have NOT really seen posted here on the TYForum.

As we already know, installing a magneride delete product, in theory, will allow us to run any passive front coil assembly (that fits our vehicle's specs) that we may choose. Whether it be Monroe, Bilstein, Rancho, Fox, Icon, etc; they are all passive suspension products. Every single one of these "brand name" front coil-over assemblies are manufactured to fit Chevy LS or LT trim, NOT a MAGNERIDE equipped vehicle. Xineering's data has shown us that the top strut core is a different size on the passive suspension trim models vs. the magneride equipped models. @Studognight may be able to confirm this.
It would appear that the MagDelete.com company has taken specific OE GM parts (LS and LT trims' front strut mount plate and related hardware in particular), and combined it with the Bilstein B8-6112 strut and coil package to BUILD a fully assembled front coil-over.

So, I say that I have not seen something like this posted on the TYForum because, it would seem, owners of Magneride equipped vehicles that are using MRC delete, are able to "BUILD" their own front coil-over assembly with the Bilstein B8-6112 product and OE GM parts to finish the job. Basically, you are building a front coil-over for a LS or LT trim (order those OE GM parts) but using the new shock/coil combination. The Bilstein product is great because they provide new front coils, but you could always order the OE GM front coil with the mounting hardware.

Thoughts?

Again, really glad you got the fronts installed and adjusted. I'd say the rough part is behind you, in more ways than one

Safe Travels

OP
OP
S

Studognight

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thoughts! Knowing what I know I woulda purchased the assembly like @Pivot mentioned. But all done now front and rear. I like the ride. And I like the rake with the fronts at position 2. Close to level with a tiny bit of rake.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts