Lug nut question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

firstGT

Reaction score
Quick, probably dumb, question on lug nuts. I bought black lug nuts from rough country to replace the oem chrome ones due to installing black wheels.

New nuts are decent sized smaller diameter in the flared portion that pulls tight against the wheel. They seem to install OK but wanted to get others thoughts before swapping 18 remaining nuts. No wobble in the wheel after install.

They are same, or very close, diameter to the locking lug nut that came installed with factory rims.

New are about .9 inch as are the oem locking. Oem chrome lug nuts are about 1 inch diameter.

Lug nuts I bought

Last edited:

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You'll be fine. My Gorilla wheel locks are like that and no problems other than rust after 60K miles. Just double check the application so if anything goes amiss, you can hold RCs feet to the fire.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Shouldn't be any problem as long as the bevel is the same angle as required by the wheels. The wheels are hub centric, correct?

OP
OP
F

firstGT

Reaction score
I assume they're hub centric being factory reps but I'm not positive.

The bevel angle appears same using eyeball test.

I think it'll be fine but was just wanting a little reassurance. Funny bc I've always modified my trucks and cars and have no issue or second guesses but this is my wife's truck and any time I work on one of her vehicles I always get a little nervous. Which is good I suppose

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I think it'll be fine but was just wanting a little reassurance. Funny bc I've always modified my trucks and cars and have no issue or second guesses but this is my wife's truck and any time I work on one of her vehicles I always get a little nervous. Which is good I suppose
Such is good, she is precious to you after all!

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I feel the same about my wife’s car

I just came to say the only luck I’ve ever had with black lugs was the OEM Gm lugs. I’m going on almost 2 years now. But I won’t let the shop hit them with an impact either. I swap them out with a breaker bar and dedicated socket every time I take the truck in for anything. It’s a little an@l. But Any other lugs I’ve bought have rusted and the OEM ones cost me about $250

Just something to consider if these don’t hold up for you

OP
OP
F

firstGT

Reaction score
I'll keep that in mind @Tonyv__ . These were pretty much the first ones that pulled up on Google when I had looked. Of course I failed to do it when I got the wheels swapped but as mentioned it's probably better that way so they weren't ran down with impact

Good to know Chevy oem ones aren't trash. Ford definitely has trash ones. At least on mustangs and I think they use same ones on f150s

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
George ramos