LTZ Shocks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

the blur

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2013 LTZ. It's starting to ride harsh. 70,000 miles.
What's the deal with the front auto ride shocks ? Do they get harsh, or soft ?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From my experience and as best as I can tell from what I've read, the Autoride shocks firm up when they wear- the opposite of what normal shocks do. I believe it's actually the computer over-compensating for the worn shocks. Mine rides much more firmly than how I think it should, so I unplugged the shocks one day and tested. It rode much softer when hitting bumps, but felt uncontrolled and top-heavy if I wiggled the wheel, which is a common symptom of worn shocks. I immediately plugged them back in. I'll be converting to standard shocks when I lower it and bypassing the Autoride system to not have warning lights on. 70K miles seems to be a common mileage for when these things are spent.

narcan

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Is the argument for converting to standard shocks just about the cost of the autoride shocks and the potential cost of further problems with the autoride system? Or is there an inherent advantage, especially if lowering?

mikeyss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They ride rough when they are worn. I broke one of my Z55 front shocks during replacement (long story), and had to switch to a normal front shocks for a weekend as couldn't buy a Z55 replacement on a Saturday night. I needed the vehicle so I threw on Napa brand ones. I absolutely HATED the standard shock because with Z55 the computer constantly monitors bumps, turns, and even wind gusts are absorbed. The standard shocks made the front feel terrible, unsettled in corners, and made it too soft. I since have all of the OEM Z55 parts and couldn't be happier. I live in Colorado and take this camping off of jeep trails, the system works awesome.

OP
OP
T

the blur

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok, sounds like I'm buying OEM struts. I'll probably keep the factory springs... even though the strut-spring assembly needs to come apart to replace them.

Can't imagine what these cost.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ok, sounds like I'm buying OEM struts. I'll probably keep the factory springs... even though the strut-spring assembly needs to come apart to replace them.

Can't imagine what these cost.
If you buy the oem ones from rockauto they are not that expensive and you will have a lifetime warranty, there is a 5% discount in the vendor section also. I replaced mine at 82k when I bought my 2012 I'm now at 129k they are working fine but if I need to replace them again in the future its free, the warranty option is send the old ones in and get the replacements sent afterwards or order new ones and then get a refund when the old ones are received, you just pay shipping. i am in this for the long run so it's a no brainer for me.

mikeyss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rockauto is where I bought all of my suspension stuff, they had the best prices. It was weird, my front struts costed more than the MRC ones, lol

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They ride rough when they are worn. I broke one of my Z55 front shocks during replacement (long story), and had to switch to a normal front shocks for a weekend as couldn't buy a Z55 replacement on a Saturday night. I needed the vehicle so I threw on Napa brand ones. I absolutely HATED the standard shock because with Z55 the computer constantly monitors bumps, turns, and even wind gusts are absorbed. The standard shocks made the front feel terrible, unsettled in corners, and made it too soft. I since have all of the OEM Z55 parts and couldn't be happier. I live in Colorado and take this camping off of jeep trails, the system works awesome.

Damn you, you got me a little concerned now. I hope my Belltechs aren't like those NAPA ones you had. Word on the street is the BT's are softer than OEM. I wouldn't mind a little softer ride, but I don't want it to feel any heavier or boat-like. Maybe I'll just get the stiffest sway bars available and go from there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmax442