LQ4 Tahoe Cam

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zraffz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am getting ready to order parts to rebuild the LQ4 that is going in my 2002 Tahoe (7.5" lift with 35's; eventually 9.5-10" on 37's). I want to retain the stock converter. This year I can't afford to change out the 3.73's or exhaust; my wife will kill me if I ask to spend more than my $2,500 budget!

It is basically a "cam" only 6 liter. I am open for suggestions although I have looked at Brian Tooley Racings Stage 2 truck cam (212/218 .553"/.553" 111 LSA) and for some reason Tick Performances TowMax Stage 2 (this seems a bit large for my application but I love the idle; 214/224 .571"/.561" 114 LSA).

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check out Vincihighperformance.com and their “trucker” cam. I’m running it in my blown 02 Denali. Excellent customer service, they will help you choose a cam if you tell them your plans.

OP
OP
zraffz

zraffz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tick suggested the TowMax stage 2 but I think the TowMax stage 1 cam is a better suited match for this truck but I am still up in the air about the TorqueMax stage 3.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Never heard of Tick Performance. Why are you leaning towards their products?

01FormulaTA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am getting ready to order parts to rebuild the LQ4 that is going in my 2002 Tahoe (7.5" lift with 35's; eventually 9.5-10" on 37's). I want to retain the stock converter. This year I can't afford to change out the 3.73's or exhaust; my wife will kill me if I ask to spend more than my $2,500 budget!

It is basically a "cam" only 6 liter. I am open for suggestions although I have looked at Brian Tooley Racings Stage 2 truck cam (212/218 .553"/.553" 111 LSA) and for some reason Tick Performances TowMax Stage 2 (this seems a bit large for my application but I love the idle; 214/224 .571"/.561" 114 LSA).

Being on 35s, with plans to go to 37s, I’d stick with smaller cams to maintain your low end torque. Check out Cam Motion and Texas Speed, they also offer a great selection and grind their cams in house. And I wouldn’t worry about the idle too much...As far as wanting the "choppy idle/cam sound" to an extent that can be attained via tuning by adjusting the timing, afr, and idle rpm.

Never heard of Tick Performance. Why are you leaning towards their products?

Nothing wrong with Tick Performance, they have been around a while.

wait, lift tires and cam for $2500?

Based on his original post, it sounds like he already has the LQ4 and his avatar appears to show his Tahoe already having a 7” Lift on 35’s and he plans to bigger on 37s in the future. $2500 seems to be the budget for the cam install.

Chrismnj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Being on 35s, with plans to go to 37s, I’d stick with smaller cams to maintain your low end torque. Check out Cam Motion and Texas Speed, they also offer a great selection and grind their cams in house. And I wouldn’t worry about the idle too much...As far as wanting the "choppy idle/cam sound" to an extent that can be attained via tuning by adjusting the timing, afr, and idle rpm.

Nothing wrong with Tick Performance, they have been around a while.

Based on his original post, it sounds like he already has the LQ4 and his avatar appears to show his Tahoe already having a 7” Lift on 35’s and he plans to bigger on 37s in the future. $2500 seems to be the budget for the cam install.
just busting some chops

OP
OP
zraffz

zraffz

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I'm aware of the impact of the cam but I really want the choppy idle... unfortunately, it isnt going to be achieved without a good amount of duration. My gut is telling me to stay well under 220 duration on both sides of the valves but my heart is so set on the idle. Doesn't the off idle throttle response suffer drastically if you mess with the timing and AFR?

How is Tick advertising such large durations for cams (217/225) that peak at 5,500 RPM on such a wide LSA (113+2)? I understand the 6 liter will reduce the required RPMs to reach the powerband but I'd assume we are only talking 300-500 RPM. I know some older SBC truck cams had similar durations but on much narrower lobe separations. I'd be much more comfortable if I could find a cam in the 210-215 duration on a tighter LSA.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jhmjr