LQ4 rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Denalibro76

Reaction score
Hi all, I’m going to be rebuilding my engine in the near future and I’m considering putting a mild cam in it. Any tips on brand or type? Also need some tips on tuning it afterwards.

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What are your planned for the vehicle?

Daily with a little towing?

More towing and how much?

Daily and no towing?

Some stoplight to stoplight action?

What gears do you have?

Quite a bit goes into deciding what cam to use.

OP
OP
Denalibro76

Denalibro76

Reaction score
Sorry, yeah my question was pretty vague. It’s just a daily driver. No towing. Little bit of action but nothing serious. Not sure of the gearing.

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well i myself if i was rebuilding would probably go for a more driveability friendly cam like one of the BTR truck cams. Stage one or 2. What is the reason you are going to rebuild the engine? Lot of smoking or knocking?

OP
OP
Denalibro76

Denalibro76

Reaction score
Well i myself if i was rebuilding would probably go for a more driveability friendly cam like one of the BTR truck cams. Stage one or 2. What is the reason you are going to rebuild the engine? Lot of smoking or knocking?
The motor actually runs pretty good but the whole drivetrain has 200k miles on it so at some point it has to be done. The trans. Is getting pretty lazy in the shifting department.

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The motor actually runs pretty good but the whole drivetrain has 200k miles on it so at some point it has to be done. The trans. Is getting pretty lazy in the shifting department.
Then the trans should be gone through, as 4l60es are notoriously short lived. But, the engine is only half way to the mileage on the 5.3 in my Silverado and it runs better than the 5.3 in the Tahoewith less than 150k. I would cam/spring it and MAYBE do lifter trays but that is a real maybe.
Dont over complicate it man. Cam springs and tune.

OP
OP
Denalibro76

Denalibro76

Reaction score
Then the trans should be gone through, as 4l60es are notoriously short lived. But, the engine is only half way to the mileage on the 5.3 in my Silverado and it runs better than the 5.3 in the Tahoewith less than 150k. I would cam/spring it and MAYBE do lifter trays but that is a real maybe.
Dont over complicate it man. Cam springs and tune.
Ok! Thanks for the info my man!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mistehkins