Lowlife's drilling plastic tank & stealing gas, how common?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not surprising. Has anyone tried to siphon gas from a late model vehicle? It's not easy with the baffles they put in the filler tube. I recently had to drain half a tank of bad gas out of a newer t-bird. I ended up hot-wiring the fuel pump. I couldn't get a hose into the filler tube, and couldn't get the filler tube disconnected from the tank without a lot of work. Thieves don't care about the damage. They do whatever is easy or fast. They're thieves! If it's hard, they move on.

If it happens to me I'll just find a way to install a drain plug in the hole. Hopefully the next thief won't drill another hole. And who knows? There might be a reason to drain the tank one day. Back in the '70s and earlier, tanks came with a drain installed (my '77 Z has one).
bad gas was common back then

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
buddy has his drilled at a motel up north while on vacation,
is this pretty common on the plastic tanks?

fairly expensive to replace.

I would think some sort of patch wouldn't be too hard to do since it's plastic. If the hole was smallish, a cork could be hammered into the hole even.

bad gas was common back then

Still is today depending on who's doing the cooking!

02Lightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a pin hole in a gas tank of a Junker car one time. I just put a sheet metal screw in it.

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I once bought a 6.5 diesel tow truck with a leaking tank, I drained the tank, sanded and used JB weld and I think a Toggle bolt and washer for structure, It stopped the leak after refilling.

Last edited:

gat0r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
has happened here for years, especially when someone has a locking gas cap

phuking thieves

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sheet metal screw and then fiberglassed over a guys leaking tank once. He was at a gas station at midnight and I offered my services so he could continue his remaining 400 miles. $50.00 for 1.5 hours work in 1976.

Jorge1313

Full Access Member
Reaction score
An an ak47 and a chain to drag him across town with the hitch . The ak47 to hAve put the chain on and lock it the hicth chained. Thing s like these piss me off one hard earned money have it stollen. We need stricter laws you steal get your finger cut off steal twice two fingers, that why there so much crime no laws to protect the good people

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
An an ak47 and a chain to drag him across town with the hitch . The ak47 to hAve put the chain on and lock it the hicth chained. Thing s like these piss me off one hard earned money have it stollen. We need stricter laws you steal get your finger cut off steal twice two fingers, that why there so much crime no laws to protect the good people
don't move to Texas, they like to use there electric chair

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DenaliRoyal