Lowering the front of an SSV

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
5strmtrp

5strmtrp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I got the spindles… then it all fell apart. In the directions they say you need to trim both the upper and lower ball joint studs, I did, problem now is how the %^* do you tighten them down further or remove them should u need to service the control arms?? YOU CANT!!
This has led me to replacing both of the control arms and having to waste 3 nights f:;&;;g with the truck after a 12 hour work day.

Crappin things are going back to Summit, I’ll consider a shorter strut and spring in the future.

Ilikemtb999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve had the belltech knuckles for 3 years now without any issues (I also live in a state without salt in winter though)

mine is a 2/3 drop on my ssv with the free travel mod. I also have airlift helper bags and it’s towed and held some cargo weight (12 sheets of 4x8 subfloor) and putting 30lbs in the bags kept it about normal ride height.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I got the spindles… then it all fell apart. In the directions they say you need to trim both the upper and lower ball joint studs, I did, problem now is how the %^* do you tighten them down further or remove them should u need to service the control arms?? YOU CANT!!
This has led me to replacing both of the control arms and having to waste 3 nights f:;&;;g with the truck after a 12 hour work day.

Crappin things are going back to Summit, I’ll consider a shorter strut and spring in the future.

Once you torque them into the control arms, the ball joint studs shouldn't spin. I use an impact gun to quickly tighten them into position so they don't have a chance to spin. You trim off the studs after they're torqued. If you ever remove them from the arm, use an impact to break the nuts free in the same manner. It sharply knocks the nut free before the press-fit of the stud in the control arm has a chance to be affected.